Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
A man finds himself between two women he loves. But the first one, the wild one, is his favourite choice. The second one is next-door girl type, understanding and loving, and all that... In this context, can we say "Conformity derived from choosing the second option (for second fiddle condition, someone's second choice) may not result in a fatalist vision of existence"?

Thank You

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Some help, please

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
A man finds himself between two women he loves. But the first one, the wild one, is his favourite choice. The second one is next-door girl type, understanding and loving, and all that... In this context, can we say "Conformity derived from choosing the second option (for second fiddle condition, someone's second choice) may not result in a fatalist vision of existence"?

Thank You
No, you can't say that if you want to be understood. What does it mean?

Conforming by choosing the second option ...
But I'm not sure what you mean by "may not result in a fatalistic vision of existence".
It's probably true that conforming doesn't necessarily result in such a vision. But who is suggesting that it should? Is there a logical connection?
I think it's more likely that a fatalistic view would result in conformity.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thank You

"The conventional choice of the girl-next-door does not point to/signify/suggest a fatalistic vision of existence"??

PS: don't use the word 'option' when talking about people - it sounds like we're objects

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"The conventional choice of the girl-next-door does not point to/signify/suggest a fatalistic vision of existence"??

PS: don't use the word 'option' when talking about people - it sounds like we're objects

Actually, this could be ambiguous, so:

'To follow convention in opting for the girl-next-door ...'

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
No, you can't say that if you want to be understood. What does it mean?

Conforming by choosing the second option ...
But I'm not sure what you mean by "may not result in a fatalistic vision of existence".
It's probably true that conforming doesn't necessarily result in such a vision. But who is suggesting that it should? Is there a logical connection?
I think it's more likely that a fatalistic view would result in conformity.

At the end of the movie, the man, pressed by family, chooses the second girl. The reviewer means that this conservative ending has not necessarily to be a defeat (this fatalistic view of existence) because is it possible tolove two women anyway, according to what the reviewer thinks to see in the movie message.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
At the end of the movie, the man, pressed by family, chooses the second girl. The reviewer means that this conservative ending has not necessarily to be a defeat (this fatalistic view of existence) because is it possible tolove two women anyway, according to what the reviewer thinks to see in the movie message.

Then my revised suggestion is, I think, fine - although maybe, depending on the context, you would say 'second girl' or another adjective to describe her (eg 'the more homely girl') instead of 'girl-next-door'.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I wouldn't call it "conforming" to marry the nice girl and have the wild girl on the side. If it is, then he's right - there's nothing fatalistic about conformity.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about rephrasing it completely- Playing safe does not have to be the end of the world (or something)
I only suggest this because "may not result in a fatalist vision of existence" sounds a bit excessive for a film review. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.