Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    dean1 is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default looking for a saying/idiom

Hi.I want to know if there is such a saying describing the following situation.
    ' Whenever A says somethings, B must always be coming up with some points against B '.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: looking for a saying/idiom

Quote Originally Posted by dean1
    ' Whenever A says somethings, B must always be coming up with some points against B '.

Thanks.
    go one better

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for ur reply. I checked it out and the explaination goes like this: to do something which is more advanced or more generous than someone else. However, I dont see how it relates to my situation here. Or would u pls give me an example using the saying u recommended ?

thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for ur reply. I checked it out and the explaination goes like this: to do something which is more advanced or more generous than someone else. However, I dont see how it relates to my situation here. Or would u pls give me an example using the saying u recommended ?

thanks again.
    Gladly.

Your definition is OK but the bottom line to it is to outdo someone/to do something better than someone else ( it might be about generosity, quality, love, etc... absolutely anything goes here).

ex.

I just bought a new Mercedes but my neighbour had to go one better and got himself a Jaguar. The rivalry never ends!

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If what you mean is someone who will argue against you no matter which side of an issue you are on, the closest English idiom I can think of is Devil's Advocate although someone being a Devil's Advocate is usually arguing in a non-hostile manner

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

Perhaps B always retorts by presenting a contraargument?

? Is that what you meant? [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Marylin; 18-May-2005 at 00:16.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marylin
    Perhaps B always retorts by presenting a contraargument?

? Is that what you meant?
    [/QUOTE]

Hi. Thanks to Marylin and Mykwyner for ur replies. erm... I think Marylin got it close to what I'm trying to say. Actually I first thought of Devil's advocate, and went to check its definition. It goes like this: Someone who pretends, in an argument or discussion, to be against an idea or plan which a lot of people support, in order to make people discuss and consider it in more detail. However, my situation is slightly different from it. Let me be more specific. Say, whenever A comes up with an idea / suggestion, B always tries to analyze the situation and shares his concerns with A, and thus it makes A think B always retorts by presenting a contraargument. So i bet you all have understood the scenario?

waiting for hear from u all again.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe B likes to split hairs? or dissect everything? If so, it would mean that B likes to overanalyze things.

The thing is I would really like to ask you about the tone you want to give this statement. Is he dissecting every response because that's his nature or he just likes to jab into that guy by nipping his ideas in the bud...??

Are we getting closer, Dean?
    Last edited by Marylin; 18-May-2005 at 23:37.

Post Thanks / Like

[/quote]

The thing is I would really like to ask you about the tone you want to give this statement. Is he dissecting every response because that's his nature or he just likes to jab into that guy by nipping his ideas in the bud...??

Are we getting closer, Dean? [/QUOTE]

Erm, I'd say it is his nature. So what do u have in mind? And can u tell the saying for the other case?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Are we getting closer, Dean? [/QUOTE]

Erm, I'd say it is his nature. So what do u have in mind? And can u tell the saying for the other case?

thanks[/QUOTE]

I don't know. I don't know if what you want to say has a positive ring to it or not. Perhaps B has an inquisitive mind by nature and will always analyze things time and again. He will then think of all the pros and cons of A's ideas before giving his own opinion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast