Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    dean1 is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: looking for a saying/idiom

Quote Originally Posted by Marylin
    It's just a statement, not exactly a reason to be either happy or sad.
    Erm..... Guess I got it somehow. It is not negative rite? So the order should be like this, sophisticated > complex > complicated. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dean1
    Erm..... Guess I got it somehow. It is not negative rite? So the order should be like this, sophisticated > complex > complicated. Correct me if i'm wrong.

using what criteria dean?

Post Thanks / Like

using what criteria dean?
    Actually I mean the complimentary order. I dont know how to put it in a proper way though. In other words, it is better to be said u r sophisticated than complicated, and complex is somewhere in between. That's what i got from ur explaination before.Sorry dont think I can put my idea across well, but I hope u can guess what I've been trying to say.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I mean the complimentary order. I dont know how to put it in a proper way though. In other words, it is better to be said u r sophisticated than complicated, and complex is somewhere in between. That's what i got from ur explaination before.Sorry dont think I can put my idea across well, but I hope u can guess what I've been trying to say.
    I don't think we can really compliment anyone based on the person's personality traits. If a person is complex or complicated, it's the way the person was born or it could be the result of previous life experiences -nothing to do with the person's behavior . If somone is compulsive, dillusional or schizophrenic, well then it's just the way the person is by nature.
    Traits of character, however, are behavior related and therefore can be either complimented or critisized. Good character traits are for example honesty and loyalty. Bad character traits are disrespectfulness, rudness, etc.

Sophistication, as I said before, is having refined knowledge of the world and its culture, finesse and good manners. I would consider it to be a compliment.
    You can't, however, compliment someone's complexity of character - it's like talking about apples and oranges.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we can really compliment anyone based on the person's personality traits. If a person is complex or complicated, it's the way the person was born or it could be the result of previous life experiences -nothing to do with the person's behavior . If somone is compulsive, dillusional or schizophrenic, well then it's just the way the person is by nature.
    Traits of character, however, are behavior related and therefore can be either complimented or critisized. Good character traits are for example honesty and loyalty. Bad character traits are disrespectfulness, rudness, etc.

Sophistication, as I said before, is having refined knowledge of the world and its culture, finesse and good manners. I would consider it to be a compliment.
    You can't, however, compliment someone's complexity of character - it's like talking about apples and oranges.
    Thanks Marylin!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Marylin!
    You are welcome.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123