Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for the best test of English. Could you advise?

hi!
    I'm looking for an English language test (tests) which could show the level of language knlowledge for the different groups (approx):
    - basic
    - beginers
    -pre-intermidiate
    - native speakers
    Well, i know there are such tests as Toefl, Ielts, still they give a rate only after a person passes some definite level beyond which he/she is considered to be "unsatisfactory" in languale skills.
    Could you advise me the test which whould estimate the language knowledge most reliably and in the best way. And probably without the boundary set to differenciate those who don't know at all from those who may know at least anything.
    Hope i was clear
    Any ideas are appiciated. Thank you!

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for the best test of English. Could you advise?

Are you talking about pre-course assessment? If so, try some placement tests, or something like this. Oxford publish some placement tests, which establish a learner's grammatical knowledge, though not much more than that. If you're looking for post-assessment, then it's hard to say without knowing the aims and desired outcomes.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have access to computers there are plenty of free on-line assessment tests. example:
    http://secure.vec.bc.ca/vec/online-test.cfm
    http://www.angielski.co.uk/placementtest.htm

For some you need to register your e-mail and the results are sent to your e-mail. If that is not acceptable, you can always take these tests yourself and see what kinds of questions they ask. Then make your own test according to your specific needs.

Use any popular search engine and you'll get quite a few sites with free tests like the ones above.

Search: free english placement tests

I hope that helps

Mark
    www.mes-english.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, thank you for the ideas about the tests.
    I have looked through some of them.
    BUT
    the problem is which test is reliable indeed?
    Say, I may tick the necessary answeres just by chance and have good result - also by chance. In one of these by chance tickings my result was 70% although i even didn't look to the questions. Is it the level of my intuition?
    Nevertheless... Could you recommend something really good?
    Test is not such an easy thing.

I need to test people's language skills, people who are seeking for the position in a company. And to define their level - from basic, to exreamly good . This must be one test that would give me such an output
    level of skills - basic
    or level of skills - advanced

Could you advise?....

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Any test is suceptible to guessing if it involves multiple choice. Online tests have to have predefined and limited answers; otherwise the computer cannot grade them. If you want to have a test than involves creative output, though this has defects as correcting it is subjective, then you will have to have paper based tests, as online ones that include human marking will inevitably cost money. In a professionally dsesigned test, there are mechanisms to reduce guessing, but these are tests like UCLES, which are designed to test language at specific levels. Most computer tests are designed for general aims. Also, if this is for a company, shouldn't it have a spoken and listening element? Unless you are going to pretest the students and then use an exam suite that covers the range of abilities, I am not sure that you will find what you are looking for. I know a lot of sites, but I don't know of any test that does not use multiple choices, closed clozes, etc, and is geared up to cover the entire range of needs of a company. I'm afraid that, ultimately, if you want a test that will do everything you want for your specific situation, then you will have to either create it or pay someone to do that.
    You can try here for sites that might help: http://www.usingenglish.com/links/Business_English/
    Last edited by Tdol; 19-May-2005 at 04:04. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, thank you for the advice. I was searching for different tests and looked through the links you have provided me with. Thank you again!
    Still the ultimate result is rather poor.
    There are tests which Cambrdge University offers. But they are not what we can use daily for taking new employees to our company. Once a person takes such a test (Cambrige test), he or she gets the official certificate. And the procedure is very official. It is not necessary for us.
    We need a test as an admission or garantee that this is a right person for this position. Basicly English language test.
    Besides preferably it should be a software which we could install at our local computer.
    So an applicant could come to pass the interview, pass the computer english language test and get the result.
    Do you know any downloads - both free or not which could be used for such purposes.
    Yes, there are many on-line tests. But it should be a test for local machine.
    Is it the only solution to order the develpment of the test to someone or to make it ourselves?....
    I think there should be some people who have already done this work. And we may not repeat it.
    Or maybe not.........
    Can anybody help?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how good it is, but it seems to be a multi-level test. It says it can be done on the computer or printted in Pdf, but I'm not sure whether it is interactive:
    http://www.esl-pro.com/ProductDetail...?ProductID=221

I've looked around and there really isn't much. There's lots of software for making tests and some offering full courses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I don't know how good it is, but it seems to be a multi-level test. It says it can be done on the computer or printted in Pdf, but I'm not sure whether it is interactive:
    http://www.esl-pro.com/ProductDetail...?ProductID=221

I've looked around and there really isn't much. There's lots of software for making tests and some offering full courses.
    Tdol, thank you sooo much for being helpful and repling so promptly! I'm looking to the link you have advised me. You are absolutely right - there are not many resources on testing software.
    I really do appriciate your help! You are saving me indeed!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome. I'm afraid that there really isn't very much out there.

ogi Guest

Have you looked at Ordinate's automated speaking tests? www.ordinate.com

They are realible, effective, have short turnaround time for results, and they test how well people speak!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast