Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: how to improve my pronunciation

    Quote Originally Posted by Marylin
    Indeed it is. I am speechless, X. And speechless ( or "voiceless" as you would probably call it) is a lot coming from someone with a big trap like mine ( no, it's not a lint trap I am talking about...)
    Voiceless .....speechless..... nevertheless - Now there's a comparison. "Less" is not stressed and receives a schwa sound in the first two. In the last one, however, the vowel is pronounced. What kind of a word could we call "nevertheless" with regards to this comparison in pronunciation? Any ideas?

    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...ey=88592&ph=on

    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...3509&dict=CALD

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: how to improve my pronunciation

    Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    Voiceless .....speechless..... nevertheless - Now there's a comparison. "Less" is not stressed and receives a schwa sound in the first two. In the last one, however, the vowel is pronounced. What kind of a word could we call "nevertheless" with regards to this comparison in pronunciation? Any ideas?

    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...ey=88592&ph=on

    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...3509&dict=CALD
    Well, it's a three-way cluster combination word never+the+less ... if we give it a shwa at the end, it will sound really weird...

  3. #23
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: how to improve my pronunciation

    Quote Originally Posted by Marylin
    Well, it's a three-way cluster combination word never+the+less ... if we give it a shwa at the end, it will sound really weird...

    Yes, of course it'll sound really weird. It would be wrong.

    But is that a technical term for it? "three-way cluster"?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: how to improve my pronunciation

    Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    Yes, of course it'll sound really weird. It would be wrong.

    But is that a technical term for it? "three-way cluster"?
    Good enough for me,X.
    Is this some "teacher ask teacher" quizz, X ?
    Tell me, I can't wait!!!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: how to improve my pronunciation

    hi 9 star
    First do not get disappointed because of pronounciation. It's all is very simple. Listen to the particular tape again and again and practise again. It is quite difficullt to follow but if you practise this regulary it will be easier

    bye
    Promoth
    Last edited by promoth; 23-May-2005 at 17:05.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: how to improve my pronunciation

    Do you have any examples that contradict this generalization?

    tion - ity
    I wish I had.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: how to improve my pronunciation

    Quote Originally Posted by Marylin
    Good enough for me,X.
    Is this some "teacher ask teacher" quizz, X ?
    Tell me, I can't wait!!!
    It's called tongue-twisting cluster.

  8. #28
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: how to improve my pronunciation

    Quote Originally Posted by Marylin
    Good enough for me,X.
    Is this some "teacher ask teacher" quizz, X ?
    Tell me, I can't wait!!!
    No, I just thought there might be a word for a word that is made up of three individual words. If there is, I don't know it.

    never - the - less - nevertheless


  9. #29
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: how to improve my pronunciation

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    I wish I had.

    Well then, I'll stick with the generalization in this case. - tion - ity



Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. pronunciation vs. accent
    By ESLinMI in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-Mar-2005, 04:41
  2. How should we look on pronunciation?
    By phoenixtree in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2004, 02:48
  3. pronunciation
    By james_chew_84 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-Nov-2004, 08:15
  4. pronunciation
    By james_chew_84 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Nov-2004, 09:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk