Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    bertietheblue is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    577
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default When is 'next Thursday'?

    If it's Sunday and I say 'I'm meeting her next Thursday', do you understand this to mean 'this Thursday' or 'a week on Thursday'?

    And what if it's Monday?

    And do you think all native speakers would be clear what is meant?

  2. #2
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When is 'next Thursday'?

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    If it's Sunday and I say 'I'm meeting her next Thursday', do you understand this to mean 'this Thursday' or 'a week on Thursday'?

    And what if it's Monday?

    And do you think all native speakers would be clear what is meant?
    Hi

    I think I can understand your point. This kind of things happen in all languages, or so I think. In Romanian, for example, if you don`t understand which Thursday one refers to, you ask: which Thursday? This one, this week, or the one [ Thursday ] next week?

  3. #3
    bertietheblue is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    577
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When is 'next Thursday'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Teia View Post
    Hi

    I think I can understand your point. This kind of things happen in all languages, or so I think. In Romanian, for example, if you don`t understand which Thursday one refers to, you ask: which Thursday? This one, this week, or the one [ Thursday ] next week?
    I was thinking that about English: is it best not to say 'next Thursday' if it's a Sunday or indeed a Monday as you'll only be asked, "Do you mean this Thursday or the Thursday after?"?

  4. #4
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When is 'next Thursday'?

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    I was thinking that about English: is it best not to say 'next Thursday' if it's a Sunday or indeed a Monday as you'll only be asked, "Do you mean this Thursday or the Thursday after?"?
    I`d say `next Thursday`if it`s Sunday [ a new week is coming], and `this Thursday` if it`s Monday or Tuesday [ another week has already come]. I`m not sure if this is correct but I feel I have to use them this way.

  5. #5
    bertietheblue is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    577
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When is 'next Thursday'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Teia View Post
    I`d say `next Thursday`if it`s Sunday [ a new week is coming], and `this Thursday` if it`s Monday or Tuesday [ another week has already come]. I`m not sure if this is correct but I feel I have to use them this way.
    That's how it should be, I think, but in practice, would someone wake up on Monday and use different language to talk about the same Thursday?

  6. #6
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When is 'next Thursday'?

    My preferences:
    If it's Sunday, Monday or Tuesday: I'm meeting her Thursday (or this Thursday).
    If it's Wednesday: I'm meeting her tomorrow.

  7. #7
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When is 'next Thursday'?

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    If it's Sunday and I say 'I'm meeting her next Thursday', do you understand this to mean 'this Thursday' or 'a week on Thursday'?

    And what if it's Monday?

    And do you think all native speakers would be clear what is meant?
    Hi Bertie,
    No, all native speakers do not understand this in the same way.
    This has been extensively discussed here.
    Search for thread titles of "next Saturday", etc. and you'll get everyone's opinion.

Similar Threads

  1. [Essay] Help with my essay please!! Due Thursday night.
    By Nic_4est in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-Nov-2009, 05:48
  2. Thursday, Friday and also on the weekend
    By SunMoon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Aug-2008, 15:29
  3. Thursday and champin
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 27-Jul-2006, 15:54

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk