How do I teach Adjectives and adverbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrachiS

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi.

I am a new English Language Teacher. I train adults who are learning english as their second language..

I ahve to teach them adjectives and adverbs they use adjectives like full day, how many material, very less projects etc... how do i teach them without getting into too much theory...

Also they say something like I shock after watching a movie instead of I was shocked instead of watching a movie..

Can anyone suggest me how should i begin my class and help them understand without lecturing them a lot

Regards,
Prachi

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Are they translating?

Over the top

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I am not a teacher.
I don't think translation is bad or that it's the reason for their confusion. Using the mother tongue of your students is ok when you give them the correct use of English. Perhaps some will disagree with me but that doesn't mean it's inappropriate. There are many methods for teaching, some concentrates on speaking, some on reading, some on grammar, translation, listening...etc
It will be much easier for you if there are adjectives and adverbs in their mother tongue just tell them English adjective is like this and adverb is like that. give them words in both languages and put them in sentences.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Probably you can ask your students\trainees to add an adjective infront of their names, begening with the first letter of their name. This is more fun and no theory\lecture involved.

This is a technique I have used before and it did work well!

Status
Not open for further replies.