Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    tough is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default when do we use blow and blows

    When do we use blow and blows .Whats the difference between the two.
    2) How are you with/in/at accounts (what to use)

  2. #2
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,415
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: when do we use blow and blows

    Quote Originally Posted by tough View Post
    When do we use blow and blows .Whats the difference between the two.
    2) How are you with/in/at accounts (what to use)
    1) Blow (noun) - singular; blows - plural
    To blow (verb) - present tense - blow in 1st/2nd person sing and 1st/2nd/3rd person plural. Blows in 3rd person singular.

    Did you have some other differences in use in mind? If so, please elaborate.


    2) How are you at (doing) accounts?

  3. #3
    tough is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: when do we use blow and blows

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    1) Blow (noun) - singular; blows - plural
    To blow (verb) - present tense - blow in 1st/2nd person sing and 1st/2nd/3rd person plural. Blows in 3rd person singular.

    Did you have some other differences in use in mind? If so, please elaborate.


    2) How are you at (doing) accounts?
    Ya why do we say This fan blow very hard and not This fan blows very hard..i am confused with this differnce .
    Also in the sencond sentence the person to whom i want to ask the question doesn't studies accounts any more he has completed his studies few yeras before so am i still suppose to" How were you at accounts."

  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,415
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: when do we use blow and blows

    Quote Originally Posted by tough View Post
    Ya why do we say This fan blow very hard and not This fan blows very hard..i am confused with this differnce .
    Also in the sencond sentence the person to whom i want to ask the question doesn't studies accounts any more he has completed his studies few yeras before so am i still suppose to" How were you at accounts."
    We don't say "This fan blow very hard" - who told you that we do?! "This fan" is 3rd person singular and takes "blows"

    If the person in the second question no longer studies accounting, then you can say "How were you at accounts/accountancy/accounting (depending on the name of the actual course)?" Of course, this would only work if you were already talking about the time when he was a student. If you made this the first line of a conversation, I don't think it would necessarily be understood, and you would need to say something like "When you were a student, were you any good at accounting?"

Similar Threads

  1. [General] blow flush in the face / blow flush on the chin
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Dec-2008, 21:06
  2. "It is an ill wind that blows nobody good."
    By Deepurple in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Sep-2008, 06:51
  3. It blows
    By Offroad in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-May-2008, 03:45
  4. When the wind blows...
    By Tokyolily in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Jul-2007, 08:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •