Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
are there mistakes here.

Up to day, I have prepared myself how to watch the world cup 2010 online not replay on internet and TV. So, I will watch 25 games on the TV, while the rest on the internet.

In the Middle East and Arab countries in Africa, the way of watching the world cup 2010 is so difficult. The only way that is available to everyone is to participate officially, which costs these days 175$ for the world cup only. So, most of us get hard to watch legally.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
are there mistakes here.

Up to day (?? Today? Recently? In the days leading up to today??), I have [STRIKE]prepared myself[/STRIKE] been working out how to watch the World Cup 2010 online, not replays on the internet [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] or TV. So, I will watch 25 games live on [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE]TV, [STRIKE]while[/STRIKE] and the rest on the internet.

In the Middle East and in Arab countries in Africa, [STRIKE]the way of watching the world cup 2010 is so difficult[/STRIKE] it's going to be very difficult to watch the World Cup 2010. The only way that is available to everyone is to participate (to actually participate in the World Cup as a footballer?!) officially, which these days costs [STRIKE]these days[/STRIKE] $175[STRIKE]$[/STRIKE] just for the World Cup [STRIKE]only[/STRIKE]. So, most of us [STRIKE]get[/STRIKE] will find it hard to watch it legally.

See above. Some amendments are clear. My queries are marked in blue, especially the one about the official participation. Do you mean that it costs $175 to sign up to the official television broadcast?

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
See above. Some amendments are clear. My queries are marked in blue, especially the one about the official participation. Do you mean that it costs $175 to sign up to the official television broadcast?
Yes, I do.
what is the rules of making a sentence?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The basic rule is that a sentence must contain a main verb, so the shortest possible sentence would be an imperative, which doesn't require a subject:

Go!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Isn't "2010 World Cup" correct?

Is it not correct in what way? It can be referred to as the "2010 World Cup" or the "World Cup 2010". It doesn't really matter.

Why do you think it's not correct?

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Thank you guys :cool:

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Small question:

The world cup will take someone. :cross:
The world cup will be taken by someone. :tick:
(The winner gets the world cup.)

Am I right?

Cheers!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Small question:

The world cup will take someone. :cross:
The world cup will be taken by someone. :tick:
(The winner gets the world cup.)

Am I right?

Cheers!

The World Cup will be won by a team!
The World Cup will be won by one of the many teams taking part in it.

We wouldn't use "someone" because that suggests one person and in a football tournament, it's won by a whole team representing an entire country.

If you say the World Cup will be taken by someone, it sounds like you mean someone is actually going to steal the trophy!

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thanks!

I agree that your versions are better than mine, but my version is a direct reply to someone who thinks he knows everything ;-)
That's why I would like not to change it too much.
So I can go with:
The world cup will be taken by a team.
("Some team" sounds strange...)

Cheers!

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, you can say the World Cup will be taken by some team, but it would be better in my humble opinion to say that the World Cup will be won by some team or that some team will win the World Cup.

:)

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
If you say the World Cup will be taken by someone, it sounds like you mean someone is actually going to steal the trophy!
As it actually happened to the Jules Rimet Trophy (the original prize for winning the Football World Cup) twice (!), and it was never recovered after 1983.

PS: I apologize for this irrelevant post, but I thought someone might find it interesting. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As it actually happened to the Jules Rimet Trophy (the original prize for winning the Football World Cup) twice (!), and it was never recovered after 1983.

PS: I apologize for this irrelevant post, but I thought someone might find it interesting. :)

It may be an urban myth, but when it disappeared in 1966, wasn't it allegedly found by a dog?!

The FA cup (the UK national tournament trophy) disappeared in 1895 and was never found. In 1958 an 83-year-old man claimed to have stolen it and melted it down to make fake coins!

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
It may be an urban myth, but when it disappeared in 1966, wasn't it allegedly found by a dog?!
According to Wikipedia (Theft of the Jules Rimet Trophy), it's true.
(Here is an article about the dog. "Pickles died by choking on his own lead while chasing a cat." Oh, that rascal! It (he?) should have enjoyed the fame instead. :mrgreen: )

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Poor dog- they could have given him a plateful of food as a reward- letting him lick the plates seems a bit mean.

y3games

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have a stream for watching world cup 2010 online at y3games.info/wc.htm

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location