Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
Hello,
I would like to ask you in an American or British parliament how is called the person or the group of persons that suggests a new topic to be discussed (and voted for?) in the parliament.

I would like to thank you in advance
Best Regards
Alex.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We have Private Member's Bills in the UK when an individual politician puts forward a suggestion on their own.

dervast

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
We have Private Member's Bills in the UK when an individual politician puts forward a suggestion on their own.

Thanks a lot! So do you imply that the only option is a signle politician to put forward a suggestion? Is nt that possible also to be done by a group of politicians i.e that belong to the same party.?

Best Regards
Alex

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you click HERE and scroll about halfway down to "Legislative Functions" you will find lots of info on how a bill can be introduced etc.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US a bill can be introduced in either the House or the Senate.

:)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

In the US Congress the persons responsible for perpetrating a particular piece of legislation are called its "sponsors." The chief sponsors, usually the originators of a bill, normally attach their names to it. So we talk about "McCain-Feingold" or "Norwood-Dingle" as a particular bill is advanced.

Then other sponsor sign on and if enough do, the (House or Senate) leadership may bring it to the floor for consideration. It's always up to the leadership to decide what happens on the floor.

The House had something called a "discharge petition." If enough members "sign on" (as sponsors) to a bill, th leadership has to bring it to the floor.

dervast

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
Two more questions regarding British and American parliaments.

A. If the chairman is a women is addressed as Chairwoman :p or Mrs. Chairman.

B. How do you call the audience that is part of the floor debate when you want to address them?

Best Regards
Alex.

Baz1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Not a teacher.
In Parliament, the 'Chairman' is addressed as Mister Speaker or Madam Speaker, but in the wider context - away from politics - we now either refer to 'The Chair' (to avoid gender) or simply call a female 'Chairman' anyway, and few now object to this.
There is no audience participation in Parliament, but if you mean the rest of the debating chamber - other politicians present - then you would call them 'The House' or 'Honourable Members present'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks a lot! So do you imply that the only option is a signle politician to put forward a suggestion? Is nt that possible also to be done by a group of politicians i.e that belong to the same party.?

Best Regards
Alex

One member will propose the bill, and the others will be backers (supporters). The procedures at Westminster are very complex and it is possible that there are alternative methods, but I don't know them. Until a few years ago, they kept top hats in parliament because wearing a hat was a way of introducing a point of order- there are many strange traditions there. :shock:

dervast

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
Thanks a lot again!
One more question: How to address the audience (member's of the parliament). For example consider that I am giving a talk and I would like to address them in order to raise their attention.

A. Dear Member's of the Parliament
B. Ladies and Gentlemen

Best Regards
Alex.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am not should that you would unless you are another politician- outsiders would generally be speaking to committees, etc, and not addressing the chamber (I believe).

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two more questions regarding British and American parliaments.

A. If the chairman is a women is addressed as Chairwoman :p or Mrs. Chairman.

B. How do you call the audience that is part of the floor debate when you want to address them?

Best Regards
Alex.
In the US the legislative body is called Congress (not Parliament). The leader of the House is called the Speaker. The leader of the Senate is called the Majority Leader. (Officially the Vice President presides over the Senate. but in practice that is usually not the case.) The members of the House are called Representatives. The members of the Senate are called Senators. (Often the term "Honorable" is used before a member's name in debates and other proceedings.)

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.