Paragraph correction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acsah

Member Type
Student or Learner
My name Srikanth, i am living at Dissukhnagar in my uncle's house. He is nice gentleman. My father name is Mr. Rao, he is agriculture. My mother name Bhavani. I am loving my parents very much.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My name is Srikanth, I [STRIKE]am living[/STRIKE] live[STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] in Dissukhnagar [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at my uncle's house. He is a nice gentleman. My father's name is Mr. Rao and he is [STRIKE]agriculture[/STRIKE] an agriculturist (or a farmer?) My mother's name is Bhavani. I [STRIKE]am loving[/STRIKE] love my parents very much.

Remember the structure for names:

My name is...
My mother's name is...
My father's name is...

You don't need to use the present continuous when you are describing your current life:

I live in Spain.
I love my friends.
I work in a shop.

When you are talking about where you live:

In + country
In + city
At + home (or at my parents' home etc)
In + a house
In + a flat/apartment

Last edited:

Acsah

Member Type
Student or Learner
I am sonu, I am coming from Bollaram. My native place is Bhopal. I am compeleted BA. My hobby is reading. I am married, my husband is working as administrator in Dubai.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am Sonu and I [STRIKE]am coming[/STRIKE] come from Bollaram. My [STRIKE]native place[/STRIKE] hometown/home area/home region is Bhopal. I [STRIKE]am[/STRIKE] have comp[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]leted a BA. My hobby is reading. I am married and my husband [STRIKE]is working[/STRIKE] works as an administrator in Dubai.

In your first sentence you have given 2 facts - your name and where you are from. If you list two things, you join them with the word "and", not a comma. The same rule applies to the final sentence.

Next - you said "I come from Bollaram. My native place is Bhopal". "I come from.." and "my native place..." mean the same thing. Is Bollaram the city and Bhopal is the area? If so, you just say "I come from Bollaram in Bhopal". Note: We don't use "native place", we just say "I am from/I come from..."

The past tense of complete is "have completed", not "am completed".

Again, use of the present continuous isn't required "I am coming" and "My husband is working" can more simply be said as "I come..." and "My husband works..."

When saying what someone does for a living, we use the indefinite article before the name of the job (in the singular).

I am a teacher.
She is an engineer.
He is an administrator.
They are teachers. (Plural = no article)

Last edited:

Acsah

Member Type
Student or Learner
I am studying in NSS at kollam. My collage is connected to Karnataka University. I wanted to do engineering but seats are not available. Now i am doing parttime job. I wanted to bacome an engineer and i wanted to work in MNC company.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am studying in NSS (is NSS the name of the college or the subject?) at Kollam. My college is connected to Karnataka University. I wanted to [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] study engineering but [STRIKE]seats are not [/STRIKE] there were no places available. Now I am doing a part-time job. I wanted to become an engineer and I wanted to work in MNC company (you wanted to do those things, in the past, but now you want to do something else?)

See above.

Acsah

Member Type
Student or Learner
I studying NSS in Kollam. My college connected to Karnataka University. I wanted to do engineering but not got seat. Now i soing parttime job. I want to become a good software engineer and work in MNC company

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
MNC is mult-national company/corporation, right?

You want to work for an MNC.

Please take a look at the corrections in the paragraph before yours. You are making some of the same errors twice.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am studying NSS in Kollam. My college is connected to Karnataka University. I wanted to do engineering but [STRIKE]not got seat[/STRIKE] there were no places available. Now I am doing a part-time job. I want to become a good software engineer and work in an MNC. [STRIKE]company[/STRIKE]

As Barb pointed out, some of the corrections I have marked above were already corrected in my previous reply. I have corrected them again here, but please take note of them!!

Notes:

- I am studying...
- My college is...
- We call it a "university place" not a "seat"
- I am doing a part-time job (present continuous, indefinite article, hyphen in part-time)
- As Barb said, MNC = multi-national corporation or multi-national company, so you don't need to add the word "company". You simply want to work in "a multi-national company" or "an MNC".

Acsah

Member Type
Student or Learner
My native place is Bhopal. I am coming from Ramnagare daily. I will take two buses to come here the , the bus journey half an hour but i am not getting buses correctly. My college also near to my room my all friends study in same college

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My [STRIKE]native place[/STRIKE] home town is Bhopal. I [STRIKE]am coming[/STRIKE] come from Ramnagare daily. I will take two buses to come here [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE]. The bus journey takes half an hour but I am not getting the right buses [STRIKE]correctly[/STRIKE]. My college is also near [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] my room. All my [STRIKE]all[/STRIKE] friends study in same college.

I have made some amendments above. I'm not sure if this is meant to be a short story but, if so, it doesn't make a lot of sense. The sentences are unconnected to each other. You have a mixture of tenses (My town is, I am coming from, I will take...)

I wasn't sure what you meant about the buses. You are catching the wrong buses? You need to catch bus number 2 but you catch bus number 3 instead, for example? Or do you mean that you don't catch the buses in time to reach your destination? Or you catch them going in the wrong direction?

I think I amended one of your posts before and pointed out that we do not say "My native place is..." We say "I come from..." or "My home town is..."

Status
Not open for further replies.