Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Background:
The sentences are describing some currect things (not the past).

Question:
Why they use present tense in the first part of each sentence, but use past tense in the 2nd part of each sentence ?

Sentences:
If you decide to terminate the contract this year, the money you would receive would be smaller than if you continued to invest until 2015.
As you intend to terminate this year, the amount reduced would be more than 20%

Note:
Once the contract is terminated, the customer can receive money immediately.

Thanks

jawatokyo

Member Type
English Teacher
The key word is 'IF'.
'If' shows it is not present tense. It is describing, as you say, a hypothetical situation, and then second part depends on whether the first part happens or not. The second part is not past; it is the conditional.

uktous

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
UK
The key word is 'IF'.
'If' shows it is not present tense. It is describing, as you say, a hypothetical situation, and then second part depends on whether the first part happens or not. The second part is not past; it is the conditional.

Last week, I sent an email to a bank to ask what wouldhappen if I terminated my contract this year.
Then, they reply to my email.

The first part has not happened. If I write the second part in present tense, am I wrong???
Ie,

If you decide to terminate the contract this year, the money you will receive will be smaller than if you continue to invest until 2015.
As you intend to terminate this year, the amount reduced will be more than 20%

If the first part did happen, how the sentense should be rewritten?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.