• Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

• Post Thanks / Like

Punctuation

Dear teachers,

This is a passage from "Archaelogy" by John Cranna which might have been reprinted.

1) I'd like to know if there are commas that are missing in the sentence in bold.

"One afternoon Chris and I went up the valley to the gold workings to search out wood for the boat he was planning. A century before the upper valleyhad been well populated with men looking for gold and above the stream bed we came upon a collection of derelict huts and their complicated arrangement of wooden parapets and sluices. We worked on a sluice run until we could free its boards with ease, digging to loosen the framework from the earth. Then Chris stopped and stood up, he held in his hand a long tapered bone from which he shook the remaining traces of soil."

Shouldn't there be a comma after "A century before" and one after "above the stream bed" OR a comma before "and". Otherwise, where should I pause, please ?

2) In the second passage should there be an "s" to "others" or is it a mistake ?

"We scraped at the earth at the base of the frame and came upon others bones, they were laid out in a pattern that twisted in under the frame posts..."

3) Why is there a comma and not a semi-colon before "he was frowning heavily" in the following passage?

"Then Chris stopped and stood up, he held in his hand a long tapered bone from which he shook the remaining traces of soil. “What's this ?” Leaning forward, he pointed the bone at my chest, he was frowning heavily."

Thank you in advance,
    Hela
    Last edited by hela; 19-May-2005 at 19:04.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Punctuation

I'd put a comma after 'a century before'. The second point could be punctuated in different ways. The simplest would be one comma before 'and. You could also put 'above the stream bed' between commas, though many wouldn't.

Second text- no, don't put an 's' on other when it comes before a noun- when it is a pronoun, then it has a plural.

Third text- it's a comma splice, which is a common mistake among native speakers too.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Punctuation

Thank you.