Can someone help me with my statement of motivation for a MSc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoanneM

Member Type
Student or Learner
This is an amazing place, I have already benefited so much from similar topics. Still, I think I could use some comments on my motivation letter for a masters programme starting in september. What do you think of this letter (grammar/spelling/structure...)? Do you think it's too short, is anything lacking?

Thanks!

To whom it may concern,
I am writing to apply for the MSc Forest and Nature Conservation at [UNIV] starting in September 2010. I am interested in both the Management and Ecology specializations.

For the past years I have studied Biology at [UNIV], for which I am currently writing my Bachelor’s thesis as a final requirement. During my studies, I expressed an interest in a broad array of subjects, ranging from ecology to behavioural biology and psychology. This changed in the last year. While I was studying and working in South Africa and Australia, I experienced directly the degradation and destruction of valuable ecosystems. This instilled in me a passion for nature conservation, for protecting these immensely valuable ecological systems.

I am particularly interested in the Management specialization. It intrigues me how scientific literature and societal context can be combined to achieve solutions to complex management problems. However, I feel a solid knowledge of the underlying ecological processes is essential to support management decisions.

In recent years, I have participated in several extracurricular activities. To refine my academical skills and gain deeper knowledge on specific subjects, I have assisted first- and second-year students in research projects on behavioural ecology and in theoretical biology and ecological modeling. I have also gained valuable personal and practical experience while studying and working abroad.

The MSc programme Forest and Nature Conservation will help me gain knowledge on the management perspective on nature conservation, as well as increase my knowledge on the ecological processes involved. I sincerely believe the Master’s programme would be a leap towards obtaining the right academic credentials to allow me to pursue my preferred career in nature conservation.

Please contact me if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

[NAME]

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would picture the MSc programme as an intermediate goal, and assume you will be admitted and obtain it; in the letter, explain how you're going to use it to make the world a better place.

Also, and more importantly, show you know their programme in depth. Say which professors you are looking forward to studying under, and which aspects of the campus, the programme, the university have attracted you. Show you've done your homework on them.

That would be very confident and credible. What you've got is basically the same as other student letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.