insects including

Status
Not open for further replies.

羡鱼-Xianyu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Why, you may wonder, should spiders be our friends? Because they destroy so many insects, and insects include some of the greatest enemies of the human race.

Dear all,
Could I reword the above as follows without changing the meaning?

Because they destroy so many insects including some of the greatest enemies of the human race.

Thanks a lot!
Xianyu

sevo1987

Member Type
Student or Learner
Mind you, I'm not a teacher.

Why, you may wonder, should spiders be our friends? Because among the insects killed by spiders there are species which are dangerous for humans.

Guys, any feedback is welcome.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
羡鱼-Xianyu;612751 said:
Why, you may wonder, should spiders be our friends? Because they destroy so many insects, and insects include some of the greatest enemies of the human race.

Dear all,
Could I reword the above as follows without changing the meaning?

Because they destroy so many insects including some of the greatest enemies of the human race.

Thanks a lot!
Xianyu

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Xianyu.

I would feel more comfortable with:

Because they destroy so many insects, some of which include the

greatest enemies of the human race.

***** Thank you *****

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about they kill instead of destroy?

sevo1987

Member Type
Student or Learner
Yep that's what I suggested in my post above. It sounds more natural.

羡鱼-Xianyu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank everybody for your replies.:)

After reading the article, you will understand why the writer used 'destroy' rather than 'kill'.

Why ,you may wonder ,should spiders be our friends? Because they destroy so many insects,and insects include some of the greatest enemies of the human race.Insects would make it impossible for us to live in the world;they would devour all our crops and kill our folcks and herds,if it were not for the protection we get from insects-eating animals.We owe a lot to the birds and beasts who eat insects but all of them put together kill only a fraction of the number destroyed by spiders.Moreover,unlike some of the other insect eaters,spiders never do the least harm to us or our belongings.
Spiders are not insects ,as many people think,nor even nearly related to them.One can tell the difference almost at a glance,for a spider always has eight legs and an insect never more than six.
How many spiders are engaged in this work on our behalf? One authority on spiders made a census of the spiders in a grass field in the south of England,and he estimated that there were more than 2,250,000 in one acre;that is something like 6,000,000 spiders of different kinds on a football pitch.Spiders are busy for at least half the year in killing insects.It is impossible to make more than the wildest guess at how many they kill,but they're hungry creatures,not content with only three meals a day .It has been estimated that the weight of all the insects destroyed by spiders in Britain in one year would be greater than the total weight of all the hunman beings in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.