[Vocabulary] Happy (summer) holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulap

Member Type
English Teacher
Is it correct/acceptable in English to say: “Happy holidays!” when we wish someone to enjoy his or her summer holidays? If not, what should we say then?
"Happy Holidays" = "Merry Christmas" ?only?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it correct/acceptable in English to say: “Happy holidays!” when we wish someone to enjoy his or her summer holidays? If not, what should we say then?
"Happy Holidays" = "Merry Christmas" ?only?

In the UK, we would say "Have a great summer holiday" or "Enjoy your summer holidays". Whether we say holiday or holidays depends on what we mean. "A holiday" is a period of time spent away from your home, perhaps in a different country, lying on a beach or skiing (for example). "The summer holidays" usually refer to the six-week period in the summer when children don't have to go to school.

We don't usually say "Happy Holidays" at any time of year. Various politically-correct councils etc have tried to introduce this phrase in the last few years, because they seem to believe that saying "Happy Easter" or "Happy Christmas" offends non-Christians! The phrase has not caught on, thankfully!

I believe it's common in AmE though.

Jay Louise

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the States "Happy Holidays" has usurped "Merry Christmas" and is only used in that context.

If you are at the end of classes you might say to your classmates "I hope you enjoy your summer vacation" or "Have fun this summer".

A holiday in the States is a specific event, Christmas, New Year's Day, etc. A vacation is a specific time away. Summer vacation or summer break is the month or two between semesters.

paulap

Member Type
English Teacher
Thank you for giving me a quick reply. I am really grateful for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.