Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
brief?????_??_???????

There is an online dictionary that marks the word BRIEF as having two different pronunciations. One is BrE=[bri:f] , and the other AmE=[brif], as the above link indicates .

I would like to have our American friends here verify this for me, for I strongly doubt its correctness. Thank you.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The recording sounds correct, and /brif/ looks all right. I had never noticed the Brits pronouncing the medial vowel longer than we do. Do they really?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
brief?????_??_???????

There is an online dictionary that marks the word BRIEF as having two different pronunciations. One is BrE=[bri:f] , and the other AmE=[brif], as the above link indicates .

I would like to have our American friends here verify this for me, for I strongly doubt its correctness. Thank you.

The BrE pronunciation on that link sounds very strange to me. The middle vowel sound isn't normally that long. I would say that the only real difference between the BrE and AmE pronunciations is, as always, the "r".

LiuJing

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Are we supposed to pronounce the [i:] in 'brief' the same way as we do [i:] in the word ' beef' , either in BrE or AmE? I mean the length of this [i:] sound.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I find that the R in that position (initial with respect to the vowel) is not noticeably different in the two populations.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There isn't a huge difference between the "r" sounds, I agree, but there's enough that if the two words were played to me, I would know which one was the BrE and which the AmE.

And yes - I would say that the "ie" sound would be pretty much identical to the "ee" in "beef".

Status
Not open for further replies.