Is 'which are' needed after companies for balance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'Companies in the business of receiving deposits from the general public and which grant loans must be licensed as banks.'

I often see structures like this in the documents I proofread. Do you think 'Companies which are ...' is needed for balance or is the above acceptable?

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
'Companies in the business of receiving deposits from the general public and which grant loans must be licensed as banks.'

I often see structures like this in the documents I proofread. Do you think 'Companies which are ...' is needed for balance or is the above acceptable?

First it should be understood that I am not a proofreader, but just someone who learns English for fun. The sentence is not ungrammatical, but stylistically poor, IMHO.

I would offer this:
Companies in the business of receiving deposits from the general public and [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] granting loans (to them) must be licensed as banks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's acceptable to me.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do like the more parallel version but the original seems fine to me. If you're proofing, I'd let it go; if you're line editing, I'd make the change.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've probably p***ed off a few lawyers over the years then, correcting this. Oh well!

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
I've probably p***ed off a few lawyers over the years then, correcting this. Oh well!

In the grand scheme of things, that is not the end of the world. :up:
JPN- CMR 1:0

Status
Not open for further replies.