Sentence structure + dangling modifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbman2007

Member Type
Student or Learner
Excuse me. Can anyone figure out what is the error in the following sentences and give an explanation?
1. While traveling in France, the exchange rate got much worse.
2. According to Consumer Reports, it says that the Lexus is a very good car.
3. After taking hours to plant hundreds of strawberry plants, the gophers came back to our garden and ate every one of them.
4. There are many herbs and plants, like eucalyptus leaves, are used in traditional Chinese medicine.
5. Older mothers will be harder to take care of their children than younger mothers.
6. Some students they get good academic results even though they do not do much studying.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, and welcome to Using English.

We always ask that you try to answer your questions first.

I'll give you a hint with a couple of these: Who was traveling? Who was planting the strawberries?

bbman2007

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi, and welcome to Using English.

We always ask that you try to answer your questions first.

I'll give you a hint with a couple of these: Who was traveling? Who was planting the strawberries?
This is my answer to the questions. Please correct me if I do it wrongly and give an explanation.
1. While Peter traveled in France, the exchange rate got much worse.
2. According to Consumer Reports, the Lexus is a very good car.
3. After the farmer took hours to plant hundreds of strawberry plants, the gophers came back to our garden and ate every one of them.
4. Many herbs and plants, like eucalyptus leaves, are used in traditional Chinese medicine.
5. It will be harder for older mothers to take care of their children than younger mothers.
6. For some students, they get good academic results even though they do not do much studying.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This is my answer to the questions. Please correct me if I do it wrongly and give an explanation.
1. While Peter traveled in France, the exchange rate got much worse.
2. According to Consumer Reports, the Lexus is a very good car.
3. After the farmer took hours to plant hundreds of strawberry plants, the gophers came back to our garden and ate every one of them.
4. Many herbs and plants, like eucalyptus leaves, are used in traditional Chinese medicine.
5. It will be harder for older mothers to take care of their children than younger mothers.
6. For some students, they get good academic results even though they do not do much studying.
All of your amendments are good, and indicate that you understand the principle that makes the sentences wrong. Naturally, there are other ways of making a good sentence from a bad one, but you have a good grasp of this.

The only one I'd disagree with is 6.
I'd say, "6. Some students [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] get good academic results even though they do not do much studying." The only problem with it was the double subject. You don't need a pronoun on top of the noun it refers to.

bbman2007

Member Type
Student or Learner
All of your amendments are good, and indicate that you understand the principle that makes the sentences wrong. Naturally, there are other ways of making a good sentence from a bad one, but you have a good grasp of this.

The only one I'd disagree with is 6.
I'd say, "6. Some students [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] get good academic results even though they do not do much studying." The only problem with it was the double subject. You don't need a pronoun on top of the noun it refers to.
Thank you Raymoot. I still have some questions to ask.
1. Sex should take place or not depends on whether there is love between the man and the woman.
2. We want to taste some special cuisines which we can hardly find in Hong Kong.

This is my answer.
1. Whether sex should take place or not depends on whether there is love between the man and the woman.
2. We want to taste some special cuisines we can hardly find in Hong Kong.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you Raymoot. I still have some questions to ask.
1. Sex should take place or not depends on whether there is love between the man and the woman.
2. We want to taste some special cuisines which we can hardly find in Hong Kong.

This is my answer.
1. Whether sex should take place or not depends on whether there is love between the man and the woman.
2. We want to taste some special cuisines we can hardly find in Hong Kong.
1. is right.
2. depends on on whether they are in Hong Kong or not.
"can hardly find" is not the best phrase either.
"cuisine" is generally singular, like "cooking".

Two correct sentences are:
"We want to taste some special cuisine which is hard to find in Hong Kong."
"We want to taste some special cuisine, which is hard to find in Hong Kong."

Status
Not open for further replies.