Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
A cocktail gourmet has won a foodnetwork profile and he syas to the camera: "I'm just looking at the red lights"

Does that mean that he is seeking to be under the limelight for example or to be famous? Or he means something else?

Thanks a lot.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's a very confusing context for this.

The red lights indicate that camera is recording/broadcasting.

But a red light is also something that keeps you from proceeding on your journey.

I don't know what this person meant. Maybe he was so overwhelmed by the whole experience that all he could do at that point was look at the camera and just try to keep talking?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Although it's difficult to determine why he made the statement, the light on the TV camera, when red, indicates that the camera is recording at the moment.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
The camera was recording yes. There was a screen indication that it was recording too (date and some frames).

So I still can't get it. I think it's simple to the extent that i can't get it!!!:oops:

Do you suggest that i translate it "literally" as "I'm looking (with my eyes) at the red light (of the camera)? Does that what he mean simply?

Thanks.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Also why he says "red lights" and not "red light"?!

Thanks.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also why he says "red lights" and not "red light"?!

Thanks.

If he was on television, there are usually at least three different cameras being used. The red light on top the camera is illuminated when that particular camera is filming, which is how the person being filmed knows which camera to look at (left, right or straight ahead). Some folks get sudden stage fright when they see that little red light blink on, like in this clip.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

It may be a long shot but it is possible that he refer to traffic lights. He means to say that
when he does his job he knows where to stop (while tasting the coctails)

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
If he was on television, there are usually at least three different cameras being used. The red light on top the camera is illuminated when that particular camera is filming, which is how the person being filmed knows which camera to look at (left, right or straight ahead). Some folks get sudden stage fright when they see that little red light blink on, like in this clip.

I REALLY CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!!:up::up::up::up::up::up:

Status
Not open for further replies.