English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to this forum and EFL/ESOL teaching, so please bear with me! :)

I live in Germany at the moment with my boyfriend and I've just done a CELTA. In a few weeks we're moving to London (Ealing) and I'll be looking to find teaching work there. I'll be applying to language schools, but I'm also very keen to do one-to-one tuition on a freelance basis.

Can anyone give me ideas on the best ways to gain new students? Where can I list my services/place adverts? I'm looking to cover the Central / West London area - what sort of hourly rate should I go for?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are sites like this: Tutor Hunt - Private Tutors & Personal Tutors For Home Tuition
I have never used them so I don't know how effective they are. There's a lot of turnover in individual teacher sites, so there may be a problem with getting traffic and enquiries that way, though some seem to be doing a good job- this guy seems to have carved himself a profitable niche: Home page for Japanese students of English for speech and listening skills. However, few people are charging this much as there's a glut of teachers.

pickseh

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the reply....at least I got one! I guess there just aren't that many one-to-one teachers out there. Or none willing to share any secrets! ;-)

I shall carry on searching the internet for more information and ideas. The CELTA I did was great but aimed more towards classroom teaching. I bought a book the other day by Peter Wilberg (One to One: A Teacher's Handbook) which looks useful. Hopefully it'll help.

Thanks again. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

pickseh

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ahh that's wonderful, thank you! I think I just need a few ideas to get me started. I'm still not sure how much to charge. I've seen people advertising anywhere between £15-£40 p/h. I used to charge £20 p/h as a driving instructor in Manchester and I'm thinking around the same. Maybe a bit more with it being London? My overheads will be nowhere near as much so that'll be a welcome change! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.