• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default evaluation

I am tring to evaluate students' portfolios in English and if you see any problems, can I have your comments? Thanks in advance.

1. X's portfolio shows he is an engaged and independent learner. It shows his development in English and organization skills.

2. X's portfolio lacks materials which shows her neglect of doing her assigned homework. She does not reflect on her learning. Nor has she made efforts to improve her English skills. She need to put more efforts to improve her English skills and develop her portfolio.

3. X's portfolio show she is a hardworking and independent learner. It shows her continous efforts to improve her English skills.

aous02 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: evaluation

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post
    I am tring to evaluate students' portfolios in English and if you see any problems, can I have your comments? Thanks in advance.

1. X's portfolio shows he is an engaged and independent learner. It shows his development in English and organization skills.

2. X's portfolio lacks materials which shows her neglect of doing her assigned homework. She does not reflect on her learning. Nor has she made efforts to improve her English skills. She needs to put much more efforts to improve her English skills and develop her portfolio.

3. X's portfolio shows she is a hardworking and independent learner. It shows her continous efforts to improve her English skills.
    N.B:I'm neither a teacher nor a native speaker.
    1. Either we say "if you see problems" or "if you see any problem".
    2.The question is misplaced here.
    3. When using "nor" i think verb on both sides must be in the same tense.

Hope you get confirmation, correction, or more information from a native speaker, or a teacher.
    Kind regards,

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post

The second sentence is trivially true. Surely all of the portfolios will show the students' development in English and organization skills. But it's not an evaluation. You need something like, "It shows his very slow development in English and poor organization skills".

2. X's portfolio lacks certain materials, which shows her neglect of doing her assigned homework.
    The comma after materials is very important. Otherwise it could be taken as saying that her portfolio lacks materials that show her to be neglectful. This would ordinarily be a good thing.
    She does not reflect on her learning. Nor has she made efforts to improve her English skills. She needs to put more effort into improving her English skills and developing her portfolio.

3. X's portfolio shows she is a hardworking and independent learner. It shows her continuous efforts to improve her English skills.
    R.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aous02 View Post
    N.B:I'm neither a teacher nor a native speaker.
    1. Either we say "if you see problems" or "if you see any problem".
    No, the original is right. There are several ways of saying this.2.The question is misplaced here.
    Why??
    3. When using "nor" i think verb on both sides must be in the same tense.
    Not necessarily.
    Hope you get confirmation, correction, or more information from a native speaker, or a teacher.
    Kind regards,
    R.