Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I found this definition of empathy in a handbook on palliative care:

"the power of entering into the experience of or understanding emotion outside ourselves."

I'm not sure what "experience of" refers to. "Emotion outside ourselves"? Perhaps there's a word missing after "of."

"the power of entering into the experience of another or understanding emotion outside ourselves."

Thanks.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Anyone? Does "the power of entering into the experience of emotion outside ourselves" make sense?

Thanks a lot!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I found this definition of empathy in a handbook on palliative care:

"the power of entering into the experience of or understanding emotion outside ourselves."

I'm not sure what "experience of" refers to. "Emotion outside ourselves"? Perhaps there's a word missing after "of."

"the power of entering into the experience of another or understanding emotion outside ourselves."

Thanks.
Yes, this seems to be a lapse by the writer.
Also, I wouldn't use the term "emotions outside ourselves" to mean "the emotions of someone else".

Editors4Writers

Member Type
English Teacher
I believe the writer intended: "The power of entering into the experience of emotions outside ourselves."

It's comprehensible, and perhaps syntactically correct, but the meaning of the sentence is still ambiguous. I suggest changing it to, "The power of experiencing other's emotions."

Status
Not open for further replies.