Results 1 to 3 of 3

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 6
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    [Urgent] Passive voice

    Correct the following sentences. Correct me if I am wrong and give me an explanation. If you think of a better correction, please let me know and explain it to me.
    1. Many students is worry by their final exams.
    my ans: Many students are worried/worry about their final exams
    What is the difference between 'be worried about' and 'worry about'?
    2. Has his car repaired yet?
    my ans: Has his car been repaired yet?
    3. The typhoon is locate south of Hong Kong.
    my ans: The typhoon is located on the south of Hong Kong.
    Is an article needed before the noun south?
    Under what situation should I use be located on/at/in/to?
    4. My mobile is stolen, so I couldn't contact you.
    my ans: My mobile had been stolen, so I couldn't contact you.
    Actually I don't quite understand why this sentence is incorrect. Please explain it to me.
    5. Gunpowder is invent in China, where use for fireworks.
    my ans: Gunpowder is invented in China, where it is used for fireworks.
    Is "where it is used for fireworks" a non-defining relative clause?
    6. The door is always leave open. It should shut.
    my ans: The door is always left open./The door is always open. It should shut.
    What is the part of speech of open in this question? What is the difference between "be left open" and "be open"?
    7. A lot of negative events have been happened in Hong Kong this year.
    my ans: A lot of negative events have happened in Hong Kong this year.
    8. The police have been arrest many criminals.
    my ans: The police have arrested many criminals.
    9. The ELC courses should be change soon.
    my ans: The ELC courses should/will be changed soon.
    The ELC will/should change soon.
    First, should I use future tense because of the adverb soon?
    Second, can I use active voice instead? If yes, what is the difference between the active voice and the passive voice for this question?
    Third, what is the difference between the active voice and the passive voice generally in writing?
    10. The name of the cloned sheep was called Dolly.
    my ans: The name of the cloned sheep is Dolly.
    First, I'm not quite understand why this sentence is wrong. Is it because the verb call can't be used in passive voice? Is it alright to just cross out was for this sentence?
    Second, What tense should I use? I think it is a fact that the name of the cloned sheep is Dolly and it is still true now so I use present tense here.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,512
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: [Urgent] Passive voice

    Quote Originally Posted by bbman2007 View Post
    Correct the following sentences. Correct me if I am wrong and give me an explanation. If you think of a better correction, please let me know and explain it to me.
    1. Many students is worry by their final exams.
    my ans: Many students are worried/worry about their final exams
    What is the difference between 'be worried about' and 'worry about'?
    2. Has his car repaired yet?
    my ans: Has his car been repaired yet?
    3. The typhoon is locate south of Hong Kong.
    my ans: The typhoon is located on the south of Hong Kong.
    Is an article needed before the noun south?
    Under what situation should I use be located on/at/in/to?
    4. My mobile is stolen, so I couldn't contact you.
    my ans: My mobile had been stolen, so I couldn't contact you.
    Actually I don't quite understand why this sentence is incorrect. Please explain it to me.
    5. Gunpowder is invent in China, where use for fireworks.
    my ans: Gunpowder is invented in China, where it is used for fireworks.
    Is "where it is used for fireworks" a non-defining relative clause?
    6. The door is always leave open. It should shut.
    my ans: The door is always left open./The door is always open. It should shut.
    What is the part of speech of open in this question? What is the difference between "be left open" and "be open"?
    7. A lot of negative events have been happened in Hong Kong this year.
    my ans: A lot of negative events have happened in Hong Kong this year.
    8. The police have been arrest many criminals.
    my ans: The police have arrested many criminals.
    9. The ELC courses should be change soon.
    my ans: The ELC courses should/will be changed soon.
    The ELC will/should change soon.
    First, should I use future tense because of the adverb soon?
    Second, can I use active voice instead? If yes, what is the difference between the active voice and the passive voice for this question?
    Third, what is the difference between the active voice and the passive voice generally in writing?
    10. The name of the cloned sheep was called Dolly.
    my ans: The name of the cloned sheep is Dolly.
    First, I'm not quite understand why this sentence is wrong. Is it because the verb call can't be used in passive voice? Is it alright to just cross out was for this sentence?
    Second, What tense should I use? I think it is a fact that the name of the cloned sheep is Dolly and it is still true now so I use present tense here.

    Hmm, here you have many interesting questions. And it seems you have worked on some of them. But the problem with your post is that it is too long.
    I suggest you break it into at least ten different smaller ones.
    Try to ask shorter questions and you will see many people will help you.

    Quote Originally Posted by bbman2007 View Post
    2. Has his car repaired yet?
    my ans: Has his car been repaired yet?
    Yes, your answer is correct here.

    Quote Originally Posted by bbman2007 View Post
    5. Gunpowder is invent in China, where use for fireworks.
    my ans: Gunpowder is invented in China, where it is used for fireworks.
    I think it is better to say Gunpowder was invented in China, ...

    Quote Originally Posted by bbman2007 View Post
    8. The police have been arrest many criminals.
    my ans: The police have arrested many criminals.
    Correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by bbman2007 View Post
    10. The name of the cloned sheep was called Dolly.
    my ans: The name of the cloned sheep is Dolly.
    First, I'm not quite understand why this sentence is wrong. Is it because the verb call can't be used in passive voice? Is it alright to just cross out was for this sentence?
    Second, What tense should I use? I think it is a fact that the name of the cloned sheep is Dolly and it is still true now so I use present tense here.
    The name of the cloned sheep was Dolly
    or The cloned sheep was called Dolly


    Please split your thread into many interesting different ones.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 3
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: [Urgent] Passive voice

    Question 1 - When you say "be worried about", worried is a participial adjective. "Worry about": in this case, worry is a verb followed by the preposition about

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Active voice to passive voice paragraph translation
    By shruticool53 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Jan-2010, 22:51
  2. [Grammar] Active Voice vs Passive Voice
    By hyounhg in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Oct-2009, 07:13
  3. [Grammar] active voice vs passive voice problem
    By carelessman in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-Sep-2009, 19:25
  4. [Grammar] changing an active voice sentence into passive voice
    By yashu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-Mar-2009, 07:39
  5. [Grammar] A problem when changing the active voice into passive voice
    By imme9x in forum Frequently Asked Questions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16-Dec-2008, 10:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •