Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I would like to know why the title of the next writing is "Two for the Price of One"

Two for the Price of One

"Where's Jamie?" screamed my cousin Lee Ann. "Oh my God, where is Jamie?" I thought, as we were standing in the pool at my parents' house. The question about my five-year-old son's momentary disappearance sent shock waves through my body.The entire pool has a safety ledge around the inside of it and gently slopes to a deep end of only four feet. It was very common for us to let the younger children splash their afternoons away in Grandma's
pool while we stood beside them and got totally soaked with their enthusiasm and the water. On that scary afternoon when Lee Ann yelled, it seems that Jamie had been walking near the safety ledge and slid down into the deeper part. We had taken our eyes off him for only a split second, and then he was gone! I quickly spotted him and reached down to pull him up. As I yanked him up, he came out kicking and screaming, crying and fearful, and yelling that he wanted to get out. My guilt wanted to take him out and grant him his wish, but my fatherly instincts told me to stay in the pool with him. Both of us were shaking as I talked to him and reassured him that water can be scary and we must respect it. I held him close as we gently walked around the pool. After a couple of minutes he said he wasn't afraid anymore and he started to splash around again.I was feeling guilty and sorry for myself for being such a bad father. "Good fathers don't let their sons almost drown," I was telling myself. Just at the height of my personal pity party, Lee Ann walked by and said, "You are a terrific dad and I really admire the way you handled that. He will never be afraid of the water again!" Lee Ann saved two lives that day. She saved my son's life when she yelled "Where's Jamie!" and she saved my life, as a father! She took me from pity to pride with her nurturing comment. It's amazing what can happen when you look at yourself through someone else's eyes.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would like to know why the title of the next writing is "Two for the Price of One"

Lee Ann saved two lives that day. She saved my son's life when she yelled "Where's Jamie!" and she saved my life, as a father!
Here is your answer.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That reminds of a fantastic offer I saw once in a newspaper ad:

"2 FOR THE PRICE OF 3!":lol: