Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 429
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Regards or Best regards

    I don't know what type of letter that I should use ' regards ' or ' best regards ' to end it.

    Actually, what it really means is beyond me. Can anyone elaborate on it ?

  1. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2
    The phrases "With Regards," and "With Best Regards," are used as general closings in all kinds of business letters to express good wishes or best wishes, even if the letter is a complaint.

    The word "regards" came from the word "regard" which means, respect, affection, esteem. In business, though, "regards" never means affection. "Affectionately Yours," is commonly used to express affection.

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3
    To the extent there is any real meaning attached to it, best regards means something like I wish you well. However, when used as closers regards and best regards don't have much real meaning attached to them and are just polite ways to end a letter. In that way, they are much the same as sincerely.

    :)

  3. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    The phrases "With Regards," and "With Best Regards," are used as general closings in all kinds of business letters to express good wishes or best wishes, even if the letter is a complaint.

    The word "regards" came from the word "regard" which means, respect, affection, esteem. In business, though, "regards" never means affection. "Affectionately Yours," is commonly used to express affection.
    I thought I was first responder when I first posted here, but I found out later that someone beat me to it. :wink:

    Two heads are better than one. Good advice!

    :D

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5
    I use plain 'Regards' in emails at work.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 429
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    To the extent there is any real meaning attached to it, best regards means something like I wish you well. However, when used as closers regards and best regards don't have much real meaning attached to them and are just polite ways to end a letter. In that way, they are much the same as sincerely.

    :)
    Since it also means sincerely though, I guess we don't need to say ' regards ' and followed by ' yours sincerely ' then, right ?

    regards,

    ( signature )

    OR

    Yours sincerely,

    ( signature ) ???

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 429
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    I thought I was first responder when I first posted here, but I found out later that someone beat me to it. :wink:

    Two heads are better than one. Good advice!
    :D
    Trying to answer question enhances one's capacity in English, hopefully Ron won't take it as people are trying to upstage him. :P

  4. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by whl626
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    I thought I was first responder when I first posted here, but I found out later that someone beat me to it. :wink:

    Two heads are better than one. Good advice!
    :D
    Trying to answer question enhances one's capacity in English, hopefully Ron won't take it as people are trying to upstage him. :P
    We're not in competition here, and it is good for the questioner to get opinions from more than one perspective.

    :)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9
    The more the merrier.

  5. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by whl626
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    To the extent there is any real meaning attached to it, best regards means something like I wish you well. However, when used as closers regards and best regards don't have much real meaning attached to them and are just polite ways to end a letter. In that way, they are much the same as sincerely.

    :)
    Since it also means sincerely though, I guess we don't need to say ' regards ' and followed by ' yours sincerely ' then, right ?

    regards,

    ( signature )

    OR

    Yours sincerely,

    ( signature ) ???
    Use either one but not both.

    :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •