down to the fact,let things slip,on top of things,come to terms with,bogged down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ju

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
What are the meanings of the phrases have been highlighted as follow?

1)
I really struggled to begin with being a single mum. I just felt overwhelmed by everything. I slowly realised that a lot of my problems were down to the fact that I was totally disorganised, which was making me feel depressed. . I have to admit that sometimes I still let things slip – it’s tiring - but I force myself to get back on top of things, as I know it’s better for the kids too.”

2)
As a single mum, resenting your situation will make it harder for you to cope with it, and won’t help you or your children come to terms with your new lives.

3)
I was so bogged down in thinking about myself that even when I was with the kids I wasn't focusing on them. I spent all my time on my phone talking to my friends or crying, and looking back that wasn't fair on the children.

Tks / ju

Heterological

Member Type
English Teacher
What are the meanings of the phrases have been highlighted as follow?

1)
I really struggled to begin with being a single mum. I just felt overwhelmed by everything. I slowly realised that a lot of my problems were down to the fact that I was totally disorganised, which was making me feel depressed. . I have to admit that sometimes I still let things slip – it’s tiring - but I force myself to get back on top of things, as I know it’s better for the kids too.”

2)
As a single mum, resenting your situation will make it harder for you to cope with it, and won’t help you or your children come to terms with your new lives.

3)
I was so bogged down in thinking about myself that even when I was with the kids I wasn't focusing on them. I spent all my time on my phone talking to my friends or crying, and looking back that wasn't fair on the children.

Tks / ju
Down to the fact that - as a result of
My problems were the result of my being disorganized.

Let things slip - neglect to do things
I have to admit that I sometimes still neglect to do things.

(Be/get) on top of things - do things on schedule, when they are supposed to be done; be in control of a situation instead of struggling with it.
I force myself to do things on time and keep chores under control.

Come to terms with - emotionally accept
It won't help your children accept their new lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.