Student or Learner
Native Language
Malagasy
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi,

Is it grammatically fine if i use different tenses when saying something?

for example,

"Is this the bed that you were telling me before?"

A: "That was the bed, right?" (when in actuality the bed is still around at the time of speaking.)
B: Yup. That is the bed.

Thanks

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Yes, it is fine to have different tenses in a sentence.

"Is this the bed that you were telling me about before?"

not a teacher

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Well said, Ted.

'I'm pleased to say you gave the right answer.'

Rover

elhithebest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hi,

Is it grammatically fine if i use different tenses when saying something?

for example,

"Is this the bed that you were telling me before?"

A: "That was the bed, right?" (when in actuality the bed is still around at the time of speaking.)
B: Yup. That is the bed.

Thanks

Sorry can anybody explain to me why the use of past continuos is ok in the sentence?

If you say before shouldn´t it be told instead?

And if you use this in the question, then the answer should be this instead of that?
Please let me know if I´m wrong
Thanks

Last edited:

Heterological

Member Type
English Teacher
Sorry can anybody explain to me why the use of past continuos is ok in the sentence?

If you say before shouldn´t it be told instead?
There is no rule against using the past continuous with "before." It would be correct to say "...the bed you told me about before" but it is also correct as-is.

And if you use this in the question, then the answer should be this instead of that?
Please let me know if I´m wrong
Thanks
This always frustrates me. English grammar books make it seem as though the rules governing the use of "this" and "that" are very clear-cut, when in fact, the terms are often interchangeable. You can only use "this" to talk about something immediate or present, but you can use "that" for the same things, or for things that are distant in time or space.

elhithebest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
There is no rule against using the past continuous with "before." It would be correct to say "...the bed you told me about before" but it is also correct as-is.

This always frustrates me. English grammar books make it seem as though the rules governing the use of "this" and "that" are very clear-cut, when in fact, the terms are often interchangeable. You can only use "this" to talk about something immediate or present, but you can use "that" for the same things, or for things that are distant in time or space.

Thank you very much Heterological, yes that´s the problem when you are not a native and learn it by books, even you can find differences between books of different authors.
The thing is that we learn RP in the teaching courses, and of course the eEnglish language goes beyond that. As any language I gess, the same thing happens with Spanish, the one learnt from Spain is different ,in some aspects, from that of Argentina and other countries which speak Spanish. The same goes for any language, mainly the differences between the lang in books and the everyday lang., slangs, idioms, etc.

Heterological

Member Type
English Teacher
I sympathize! I've been a student of Spanish for many years; I studied Castillian Spanish in school and learned Mexican Spanish from my peers (I grew up in Southern California) and I still have a hard time understanding spoken Argentinian Spanish!

elhithebest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I sympathize! I've been a student of Spanish for many years; I studied Castillian Spanish in school and learned Mexican Spanish from my peers (I grew up in Southern California) and I still have a hard time understanding spoken Argentinian Spanish!

I´d love to help you with that if you want, so if you have any questions send me a message so I´ll answer.
Best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.