since two months ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven D

Member Type
English Teacher
Casiopea said:
EXAMPLE

Transformations show us how words and phrases function in a language and how they are distributed within a sentence.

Transformations are tools. They show us how language works, that language has architecture. If we know the system, how that architecture is structured, we can generate novel forms, like "Since two months ago'.

I agree that it's a novel form. :cool:

:shock:

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
X Mode said:
I have a question first. Do you mean you haven't studied it "for 7 years" as opposed to studying it for a longer time or a shorter time? It's possible to interpret the meaning that way without any context.

T - You've studied French for seven years. You should be able to speak it.

P - No, I didn't say for seven years. I said for seven months. I've studied French for 7 months now. (been studying)

If you simply mean that 7 years have passed since the last time you studied French, then "in 7 years" or "for 7 seven years" are both correct. I can't think of any real difference in meaning. In terms of practical understanding, they're the same.

No, you always run faster. I haven't thought about it but I understand what you said. I meant the second.

Thank you as always, X Mode! :-D

Steven D

Member Type
English Teacher
Oh, what a surprise ... ... Here it is. I thought it was lost altogether.

:)

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
X Mode said:
I have a question first. Do you mean you haven't studied it "for 7 years" as opposed to studying it for a longer time or a shorter time? It's possible to interpret the meaning that way without any context.

T - You've studied French for seven years. You should be able to speak it.

P - No, I didn't say for seven years. I said for seven months. I've studied French for 7 months now. (been studying)

If you simply mean that 7 years have passed since the last time you studied French, then "in 7 years" or "for 7 seven years" are both correct. I can't think of any real difference in meaning. In terms of practical understanding, they're the same.

By the way, what made you pose that question?

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
D'accord! :) (Now I'm speaking French, where's FRC?! Twostep, are you here?) It's worth waiting if you are coming back later. I think you know why they're in bold.

Steven D

Member Type
English Teacher
blacknomi said:
By the way, what made you pose that question?

Well, that's an easy enough question.

I posed that question simply because both meanings occurred to me. I probably thought the meaning had to be clarified in order to answer a question.

:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.