Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Dear teachers...

by the judgment of this passage, from the Meditations of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius... could we say he was arrogant when he wrote:

When you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: The people I deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous and surly. They are like this because they cannot tell good from evil. But I have seen the beauty of good, and the ugliness of evil, and have recognized that the wrongdoer has a nature related to my own - not of the same blood or birth, but the same mind, and possessing a share of the divine. And so none of them can hurt me. No one can implicate me in ugliness. Nor can I feel angry at my relative, or hate him. We were born to work together like feet, hands and eyes, like the two rows of teeth, upper and lower. To obstruct each other is unnatural. To feel anger at someone, to turn your back on him: these are obstructions.

Many thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear teachers...

by the judgment of this passage, from the Meditations of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius... could we say he was arrogant when he wrote:

Many thanks.
I wouldn't call it arrogant. In fact, it's the type of thing Jesus Christ or Buddha might have said.

Status
Not open for further replies.