Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have learned the standard usage of 'relatively' is: relatively + adj. in its original form.

My question is: do a lot of native speakers say something like 'the market has relatively lower prices' as widely-accepted non-standard English, as acceptable as 'different than...'?

Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have learned the standard usage of 'relatively' is: relatively + adj. in its original form.

My question is: do a lot of native speakers say something like 'the market has relatively lower prices' as widely-accepted non-standard English, as acceptable as 'different than...'?

Thank you.
Yes, it is widely used, but it's not correct.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why is it not correct?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"Relatively low prices" = "prices lower in relation to an unspecified number of other markets". "Relatively lower prices" needs a "than somewhere".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I assume the context makes that clear. Is there anything grammatically incorrect about "relatively lower prices"?

I like shopping at Wegmans. They have relatively lower prices on the things I buy most often.

I would assume that it means "lower than the other stores that are in my area."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

LiuJing

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I assume the context makes that clear. Is there anything grammatically incorrect about "relatively lower prices"?

I like shopping at Wegmans. They have relatively lower prices on the things I buy most often.

I would assume that it means "lower than the other stores that are in my area."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

The rule, relatively + adj. in its original form, was taught when I learned comparative and superlative grammar stuff. My teacher told us to treat it as something like less + adj. in its original form. For example,[ I feel less cold now], not [I feel less colder now], hence it is not correct to say I feel relatively better now. That 's what my teacher said when giving out the explanation on the rule: relatively or less is a word of comparison already and it doesn't need to be followed by another comparison. However, it seems people do say [I feel relatively better now] as Mr. bhaisahab has admitted, although it is deemed non-standard by scholarly folks.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand why this would be non-standard.

Relatively is an adverb. Adverbs modify adjectives. Lower is an adjective.

If the rule is that relatively can only modify a non-comparative forms of adjectives, it's a rule I've never seen.

It's a synonym for "somewhat."

She seems happier these days. Well, somewhat happier, anyway.
She seems happier these days. Well, relatively happier, anyway.

A: Everything is so expensive here!
B: Yes, I know. Groceries are very expensive, but I shop at Wegmens. The prices there are lower. Well, relatively lower. Things still cost a lot.

I think all those paintings are pretty ugly. There's not many I would want hanging on my walls. I could live with that one though. It's relatively prettier than the others.

All of these are incorrect?

LiuJing

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Relatively is an adverb. Adverbs modify adjectives. Lower is an adjective.

If the rule is that relatively can only modify a non-comparative forms of adjectives, it's a rule I've never seen.

It's a synonym for "somewhat."

She seems happier these days. Well, somewhat happier, anyway.
She seems happier these days. Well, relatively happier, anyway.

A: Everything is so expensive here!
B: Yes, I know. Groceries are very expensive, but I shop at Wegmens. The prices there are lower. Well, relatively lower. Things still cost a lot.

I think all those paintings are pretty ugly. There's not many I would want hanging on my walls. I could live with that one though. It's relatively prettier than the others.

All of these are incorrect?

I made several google searches and found this one:
BP boss Tony Hayward admits job is on the line over Deepwater oil spill | Business | The Guardian

Beginning lines:

Tony Hayward, the beleaguered chief executive of BP, has claimed its oil
spill in the Gulf of Mexico is "relatively tiny" compared with the "very big ocean".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

"Relatively low prices" = "prices lower in relation to an unspecified number of other markets". "Relatively lower prices" needs a "than" somewhere.

I (initially) shared Barb's confusion; bhaisahab's post [edited to make sense ;-)] explains. But I think the elision of the 'than' will always be explained by the context.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.