Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 212
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    a relatively lower price?

    I have learned the standard usage of 'relatively' is: relatively + adj. in its original form.

    My question is: do a lot of native speakers say something like 'the market has relatively lower prices' as widely-accepted non-standard English, as acceptable as 'different than...'?

    Thank you.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,609
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: a relatively lower price?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiuJing View Post
    I have learned the standard usage of 'relatively' is: relatively + adj. in its original form.

    My question is: do a lot of native speakers say something like 'the market has relatively lower prices' as widely-accepted non-standard English, as acceptable as 'different than...'?

    Thank you.
    Yes, it is widely used, but it's not correct.

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 17,844
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: a relatively lower price?

    Why is it not correct?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,609
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: a relatively lower price?

    "Relatively low prices" = "prices lower in relation to an unspecified number of other markets". "Relatively lower prices" needs a "than somewhere".

  4. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 17,844
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: a relatively lower price?

    I assume the context makes that clear. Is there anything grammatically incorrect about "relatively lower prices"?

    I like shopping at Wegmans. They have relatively lower prices on the things I buy most often.

    I would assume that it means "lower than the other stores that are in my area."

    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 212
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: a relatively lower price?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I assume the context makes that clear. Is there anything grammatically incorrect about "relatively lower prices"?

    I like shopping at Wegmans. They have relatively lower prices on the things I buy most often.

    I would assume that it means "lower than the other stores that are in my area."

    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

    The rule, relatively + adj. in its original form, was taught when I learned comparative and superlative grammar stuff. My teacher told us to treat it as something like less + adj. in its original form. For example,[ I feel less cold now], not [I feel less colder now], hence it is not correct to say I feel relatively better now. That 's what my teacher said when giving out the explanation on the rule: relatively or less is a word of comparison already and it doesn't need to be followed by another comparison. However, it seems people do say [I feel relatively better now] as Mr. bhaisahab has admitted, although it is deemed non-standard by scholarly folks.
    Last edited by LiuJing; 29-Jun-2010 at 19:54.

  5. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 17,844
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: a relatively lower price?

    I don't understand why this would be non-standard.

    Relatively is an adverb. Adverbs modify adjectives. Lower is an adjective.

    If the rule is that relatively can only modify a non-comparative forms of adjectives, it's a rule I've never seen.

    It's a synonym for "somewhat."


    She seems happier these days. Well, somewhat happier, anyway.
    She seems happier these days. Well, relatively happier, anyway.

    A: Everything is so expensive here!
    B: Yes, I know. Groceries are very expensive, but I shop at Wegmens. The prices there are lower. Well, relatively lower. Things still cost a lot.

    I think all those paintings are pretty ugly. There's not many I would want hanging on my walls. I could live with that one though. It's relatively prettier than the others.

    All of these are incorrect?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 212
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: a relatively lower price?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I don't understand why this would be non-standard.

    Relatively is an adverb. Adverbs modify adjectives. Lower is an adjective.

    If the rule is that relatively can only modify a non-comparative forms of adjectives, it's a rule I've never seen.

    It's a synonym for "somewhat."


    She seems happier these days. Well, somewhat happier, anyway.
    She seems happier these days. Well, relatively happier, anyway.

    A: Everything is so expensive here!
    B: Yes, I know. Groceries are very expensive, but I shop at Wegmens. The prices there are lower. Well, relatively lower. Things still cost a lot.

    I think all those paintings are pretty ugly. There's not many I would want hanging on my walls. I could live with that one though. It's relatively prettier than the others.

    All of these are incorrect?

    I made several google searches and found this one:
    BP boss Tony Hayward admits job is on the line over Deepwater oil spill | Business | The Guardian

    Beginning lines:

    Tony Hayward, the beleaguered chief executive of BP, has claimed its oil
    spill in the Gulf of Mexico is "relatively tiny" compared with the "very big ocean".

  6. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,873
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: a relatively lower price?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I don't understand why this would be non-standard.

    ...

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "Relatively low prices" = "prices lower in relation to an unspecified number of other markets". "Relatively lower prices" needs a "than" somewhere.
    I (initially) shared Barb's confusion; bhaisahab's post [edited to make sense ] explains. But I think the elision of the 'than' will always be explained by the context.

    b

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Price is cheap or Price is low
    By yiuho in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-Nov-2009, 15:17
  2. The price of gas is cheaper/lower
    By Tan Elaine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2009, 05:17
  3. in the lower third
    By owenpan1979 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Mar-2009, 14:46
  4. price rises vs. price increase
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-Jul-2008, 14:23
  5. ''rental price'' vs ''price of the rent''
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-Jul-2008, 07:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •