Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: combined age

  1. #1
    chance22 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default combined age

    I have come across a maths problem.

    Dordon is twice as old as Tom. The combined age of Dordon and Tom is 112 years. The question is: how old are Dordon and Tom now?

    I think if the combined age of them is 102 or 132, then it's easy to get their age respectively. But as to 112, I don't know how to solve the problem. Or is there different understanding about "the combined age"? As to "how old are Dordon and Tom", is it possible to think that it can also be interpreted as their "combined age"--that is, 112 years? I'm confused.
    Looking forward to your help.

  2. #2
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: combined age

    Quote Originally Posted by chance22 View Post
    I have come across a maths problem.

    Dordon is twice as old as Tom. The combined age of Dordon and Tom is 112 years. The question is: how old are Dordon and Tom now?

    I think if the combined age of them is 102 or 132, then it's easy to get their age respectively. But as to 112, I don't know how to solve the problem. Or is there different understanding about "the combined age"? As to "how old are Dordon and Tom", is it possible to think that it can also be interpreted as their "combined age"--that is, 112 years? I'm confused.
    Looking forward to your help.
    I think you're understanding "combined age" correctly - it's the number you get if you add together Dordon's age and Tom's age.

    I am 40. My friend is 52. Our combined age is 92.

  3. #3
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: combined age

    Since Dordon is such a strange name, I suspect there may be more than one typo. So your two guesses are quite possible. Otherwise, the solution has to depend on fractions of a year. To a fairly close approximation, a year is 365.25 days. So the two ages are 37 years, 121 days and 18 hours, and twice that (as long as they were born at the same time of day - if they weren't, any kind of precision is beyond me ).

    Unless it's a trick question... Anyway, your interpretation of 'combined age' is OK.

    b

  4. #4
    chance22 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: combined age

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I think you're understanding "combined age" correctly - it's the number you get if you add together Dordon's age and Tom's age.

    I am 40. My friend is 52. Our combined age is 92.
    Thank you very much! Then is there an answer to this question? If there is no problem about combined age, what about "how old are Dordon and Tom"? It possible to interprete as their "combined age" instead of their ages respectively?

  5. #5
    euncu's Avatar
    euncu is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: combined age

    It's odd to choose a number like 112, which is not divisible to three without remainder. But as BobK put it, the ages are 37,33 and 74,66 respectively.(I've found it tedious to calculate the months and the days, so excuse me for those strange-sounding ages)

  6. #6
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: combined age

    I'm glad I wasn't the only one having trouble trying to come up with an answer to the actual maths problem! Not being much good at maths, I just assumed I was doing something wrong!

    I also think that perhaps one of the men's name was meant to be Gordon (not Dordon, which I've never heard of).

  7. #7
    chance22 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: combined age

    Thank emsr2d2 and euncu very much. It seems that if I'm not mistaken about the meaning of the maths problem, the answer must be 37 years and 4months, 74 years and 8 months.

  8. #8
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: combined age

    Quote Originally Posted by chance22 View Post
    Thank emsr2d2 and euncu very much. It seems that if I'm not mistaken about the meaning of the maths problem, the answer must be 37 years and 4months, 74 years and 8 months.
    ... anyone else?

    b

    PS It has occurred to me that unless they were both born at exactly the same time of day, the calculation is almost impossible; maybe I should say absolutely - a mathematician might be able to say. If the older of the two was born at 6.00 a.m., he's 74 years, 8 months, and 18 hours old, while the younger [let's say he was born at 11.00 p.m.] is 37 years, 4 months, and 1 hr old. I wonder what the odds are against such a coincidence...
    Last edited by BobK; 30-Jun-2010 at 17:10. Reason: Added PS

  9. #9
    2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: combined age

    It doesn't have to be harder just because 112 is not divisible by 3 without resulting in a fraction.

    D = 2T
    D + T = 112

    2T + T = 112
    3T = 112

    T = 37 1/3 years old
    D = 74 2/3 years old

    You don't have to consider days, hours and months. The question is in years.

  10. #10
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: combined age

    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    It doesn't have to be harder just because 112 is not divisible by 3 without resulting in a fraction.

    D = 2T
    D + T = 112

    2T + T = 112
    3T = 112

    T = 37 1/3 years old
    D = 74 2/3 years old

    You don't have to consider days, hours and months. The question is in years.
    Who said anything about years? Here's the question:
    The question is: how old are Dordon and Tom now?
    If you choose to interpret the question as being ''What are their ages now, in years", of course that makes the calculation easier. To quote my French teacher at the the end of Dictée 'Point finale'.

    b

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Definition of ''Combined Shop''
    By merry 07 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Jun-2010, 11:35
  2. Can something be parallelly combined?
    By NimoTh in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 14-Sep-2009, 20:16
  3. [Essay] english combined. AS level
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Sep-2008, 15:43
  4. Meanings of "age-bent" or "blind & age bent"?
    By gonghoujun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Jan-2008, 14:41
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-May-2005, 00:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •