Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: American Slang

  1. #1
    *Sama*'s Avatar
    *Sama* is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default American Slang

    Hi,
    If I am interested in Amercian English do I have to get more involved in slang and learning more about it?
    I am asking because I think slang is full of rude ways of talking, which I don't like, and if I don't have to get to know more about it how can I communicate or understand more about the way native American speakers use?

  2. #2
    Ouisch's Avatar
    Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: American Slang

    American children learn the difference between acceptable slang and rude slang by getting chastised (or worse! ) by Mom when they utter something rude. Usually American children learn slang both by watching TV and also overhearing the conversations of the "older" and more worldly kids on the playground. If little Johnny says "son of a gun!" at the dinner table his parents will probably laugh, but if he says "son of a bitch!" they will no doubt react in horror and ask him "Where on Earth did you learn such language?!"

    You can learn a lot of AmE slang by watching US-produced TV shows and films. In the US, every TV show and cinema film is assigned a "rating" which indicates whether the show contains profane language, excessive violence, or nudity. If your country doesn't use a similar rating system, you might want to look up the program/film you've just watched on the IMDb, which will give a very detailed breakdown of any objectionable language or nude scenes included in the show. If you hear an AmE slang phrase and are unsure whether or not it is rude, you can always look it up in an online dictionary - phrases that are considered rude or vulgar will be marked as such.

  3. #3
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: American Slang

    You don't have to use slang or anything you consider rude, but you will probably have to understand some.

  4. #4
    Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: American Slang

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    If little Johnny says "son of a gun!" at the dinner table his parents will probably laugh, but if he says "son of a bitch!" they will no doubt react in horror and ask him "Where on Earth did you learn such language?!"
    It is difficult for non-native speakers to grasp the meaning and charge of that expression.
    I used to think of it as a truly strong offensive one. However, I have two points:

    1) In American movies one clearly sees that the expression "son of a bitch" is freely used throughout many speeches. It is so commonly used that it does not appear to be real swearing. In fact, many Portuguese subtitles translate it to a common equivalent Portuguese expression which is not so heavy at all.

    2) The word 'bitch' stands for a female dog and it needs context to be an offensive one. See for instance the post by konungursvia in http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ot...ermercado.html

    The bottom line: I think "whore" is much more offensive than "bitch", isn't it?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: American Slang

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    It is difficult for non-native speakers to grasp the meaning and charge of that expression.
    I used to think of it as a truly strong offensive one. However, I have two points:

    1) In American movies one clearly sees that the expression "son of a bitch" is freely used throughout many speeches. It is so commonly used that it does not appear to be real swearing. In fact, many Portuguese subtitles translate it to a common equivalent Portuguese expression which is not so heavy at all.

    2) The word 'bitch' stands for a female dog and it needs context to be an offensive one. See for instance the post by konungursvia in http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ot...ermercado.html

    The bottom line: I think "whore" is much more offensive than "bitch", isn't it?
    Great insights from the other side of things, thanks! I think the words "bitch" and "whore" are about equally loaded; I wouldn't use either in polite company. You are right, though, that we often use a lot of impolite language very casually. The word "fuck" is considered by many to be the most offensive word in the English language. It is most commonly referred to as "the f word;" I know of no other words so common and yet so taboo they are known by a single letter! Still, if you watch late-night stand-up comedy, you might hear the word "fuck" more than you hear the word "the."

    I have a no-taboo policy in my classroom; my students can ask me about any word or phrase they hear, and I will answer in detail. I do, however, warn them that the word or phrase they are asking about is considered mildly to highly offensive, to which they often react with puzzlement because they've heard it used so casually.

    Another important thing to understand about foul language is that much of it is used to denigrate groups of people, and many people in those groups have begun using the offensive language themselves to take the sting out of it. The word "nigger" refers to a person of African descent, and is considered extremely offensive (OK, I take back what I said earlier about "fuck" being the only word known by a single letter--this one is known as "the n word!") Many African-Americans use it among themselves, however, as a way of "reclaiming the word." Words like "bitch," "slut," and "cunt" are all used to denigrate women, and some women are trying to reclaim those words, too, by using them without the intention of disrespect. There's even a book titled Cunt, about the movement to take back that word. So some of what you hear may not be casual or thoughtless; it may be part of a deliberate campaign to take the power out of hurtful language.

  6. #6
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    16,280
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: American Slang

    Actually, the "c-word" is about as offensive as it gets to many women. I will use the "f-word" from time to time, but never, EVER the n-word or the c-word.

    Another word about slang - don't try to use it if it's not natural for you. Slang has age, socio-economic, gender, and geographic appropriateness. My daughter would recoil in horror if I tried to use the slang she uses around her friends, for example. In movies, when they want to show how "un-cool" an adult is, they show him or her trying to use young people's slang and looking ridiculous.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  7. #7
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: American Slang

    There is less of a taboo about the c-word in BrE, but it's still likely to cause offence in many circles. And any racial slang is extremely dangerous- it's the sort of thing that starts fights.

  8. #8
    *Sama*'s Avatar
    *Sama* is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: American Slang

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    American children learn the difference between acceptable slang and rude slang by getting chastised (or worse! ) by Mom when they utter something rude. Usually American children learn slang both by watching TV and also overhearing the conversations of the "older" and more worldly kids on the playground. If little Johnny says "son of a gun!" at the dinner table his parents will probably laugh, but if he says "son of a bitch!" they will no doubt react in horror and ask him "Where on Earth did you learn such language?!"

    You can learn a lot of AmE slang by watching US-produced TV shows and films. In the US, every TV show and cinema film is assigned a "rating" which indicates whether the show contains profane language, excessive violence, or nudity. If your country doesn't use a similar rating system, you might want to look up the program/film you've just watched on the IMDb, which will give a very detailed breakdown of any objectionable language or nude scenes included in the show. If you hear an AmE slang phrase and are unsure whether or not it is rude, you can always look it up in an online dictionary - phrases that are considered rude or vulgar will be marked as such.
    Thank you so much. You know the real problem here is when there is an American movie the Arabic subtitles is not accurate. Let me give you an example the one you used " son of a bitch" will be translated as "jerk" and the word "f***" will be translated as "dammit" so sometimes I may use these words not knowing that it's rude. I think that's the real problem especially when I count on these movies to learn more about American English.

  9. #9
    *Sama*'s Avatar
    *Sama* is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: American Slang

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    You don't have to use slang or anything you consider rude, but you will probably have to understand some.
    How come when I don't really know that it's rude?

  10. #10
    *Sama*'s Avatar
    *Sama* is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: American Slang

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    It is difficult for non-native speakers to grasp the meaning and charge of that expression.
    I used to think of it as a truly strong offensive one. However, I have two points:

    1) In American movies one clearly sees that the expression "son of a bitch" is freely used throughout many speeches. It is so commonly used that it does not appear to be real swearing. In fact, many Portuguese subtitles translate it to a common equivalent Portuguese expression which is not so heavy at all.

    2) The word 'bitch' stands for a female dog and it needs context to be an offensive one. See for instance the post by konungursvia in http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ot...ermercado.html

    The bottom line: I think "whore" is much more offensive than "bitch", isn't it?
    Thank you. That's exactly what I am talking about. The same thing happen here when they translate these kinda words they just don't give the real meaning of it which makes it difficult to me to know what is acceptable and what isn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Please, help me to do a research of American slang
    By Ekaterina enz in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-Apr-2009, 23:37
  2. help on american slang
    By valliux in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Apr-2009, 20:37
  3. fofofocal (American slang?)
    By thedaffodils in forum English Slang
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25-Sep-2008, 02:28
  4. American slang
    By belly_ttt in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-Jul-2008, 08:46
  5. American Slang
    By Blue Bird in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-Mar-2008, 03:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk