Thread: proofread this!

• Post Thanks / Like

proofread this!

Can anyone please proofread my report on Copyright and fix my grammar.

http://www.webpost.net/sh/Shaorin/report.txt
    http://www.webpost.net/sh/Shaorin/copyright.doc
    Last edited by Ruriko; 29-May-2005 at 01:41.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: proofread this!

It's very difficult to read like that when it goes off the page and very difficult to check. Can you wrap the text please- otherwise it's impossible to check.

• Post Thanks / Like

I made it into a doc now here you go http://www.webpost.net/sh/Shaorin/copyright.doc

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks- much easier to read.

Copyright has the official right of giving the owner to take action on whoever uses their copyright material without permission or claiming ownership.

I'd say-
    Copyright gives the owner the right to take action against anyone who uses their copyright material without permission or who claims ownership.

If someone does steal copyright material from you it is your job to stop them from stealing copyright material.

Here, I'd remove the repetition:
    If someone does steal copyright material from you it is your job to stop them.

As quoted from ww.copyright.org.au

I'd just put the quote, then afterwards write www.copyright.org.au (with date accessed after it)

It is not allowed to be used for selling media without asking permission

It cannot be sold or used in a product that is sold without permission

APRA/AMCOS has a wide collection of licenses supplying businesses and orgnaisations; an easy and helpful way of using music while complying with copyright law.

Copyright is also a great thing to have to protect your own created material (I would stop here)

• Post Thanks / Like

I've updated so can you proofread it again? http://www.webpost.net/sh/Shaorin/copyright.txt

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Ruriko, could you put it into Word for me again?

• Post Thanks / Like

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Introduction

In this report you will find information on “How original work is copyright protected,” a document prepared to protect content on your website and procedures to acquire a license for a music track to be played in a multimedia project.

How is original work copyright protected?

When you first make something, your work is automatically protected. Copyright officially gives the owner right to take action on whoever uses their copyrighted material without permission or claims ownership. If someone steals copyrighted material from you, it is your job to stop them. You have the right to sue them if you have actual ownership.

As quoted from www.copyright.org.au, “If you are a member of a copyright collecting society or professional organization (such as a publishers’ or authors’ society), in some cases you may be able to get assistance from that organization, especially if the issue is of substantial concern to members of the organization generally.”

Copyright document to protect web content

In a copyright document you should indicate whether you allow users to use your graphics, then you should put a text similar to this “If you wish to use our graphics, video clips, audios etc for your own website you must give credit”. Depending how nice you are, I would recommend that you do not let users use graphics for a commercial purpose unless they have asked permission because you did all the work and you should earn the money yourself.

Some sites take your graphics and put them as downloads or examples; you should say in your copyright document that you do not allow your graphics to be downloaded or used as examples. Be aware that some web design companies do take graphics from other people and develop them for a customer who is paying, so that is another thing that needs to be in your copyright document. If you were nice enough to allow users to request custom graphics then indicate that in your copyright document. Lastly, you may want to put your contact information in case they have any doubts about the rules.

What is the procedure to acquire a license for a music track to play in a Multimedia Project?

If you were to entertain (what do you mean here- use a music track for entertaiment?) or reproduce music you will need the relevant license from the copyright owner. APRA/AMCOS are the appropriate bodies to give you the required license. You might require more than one license depending on the situation.

APRA/AMCOS has a wide collection of licenses providing businesses and organizations an easy helpful way of using music while agreeing to their copyright law.

Conclusion

In conclusion, you must read the copyright terms carefully before taking any copyrighted materials, otherwise you might end up being sued because you have not agreed to their copyright terms. Copyright is also a great thing to have your created material protected from other people stealing them.