[General] How to pronounce bringing correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiuJing

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My roommate and I are discussing the pronunciation of 'bringing'.

I prefer to pronounce it as bring-ning, and his way is bring-ing.

My logic is based on ringing being said as ring-ning, and his is singing is sing-ing, not sing-ning.

Both of us are confused. Thank you in advance.

xpert

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Malaysia
The correct pronunciation is /ˈbrɪŋ ɪŋ/. Notice that [ng] is nasalized.

Source: Longman Pronunciation Dictionary

carol.j

Member Type
English Teacher
My roommate and I are discussing the pronunciation of 'bringing'.

I prefer to pronounce it as bring-ning, and his way is bring-ing.

My logic is based on ringing being said as ring-ning, and his is singing is sing-ing, not sing-ning.

Both of us are confused. Thank you in advance.

Hi LiuJing,

The correct pronunciation for both ringing and singing is 'ring-ing' and 'sing-ing' respectively. There is no 'n' sound after ring or sing.

Hope this helps.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi LiuJing,

The correct pronunciation for both ringing and singing is 'ring-ing' and 'sing-ing' respectively. There is no 'n' sound after ring or sing.

Hope this helps.
I agree. In fact, there is no /n/ sound at all in these words, as illustrated in the above phonetic transcription.
/n/ is pronounced with the tongue on the alveolar ridge. The tongue goes nowhere near here when saying 'bringing'.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree. In fact, there is no /n/ sound at all in these words, as illustrated in the above phonetic transcription.
/n/ is pronounced with the tongue on the alveolar ridge. The tongue goes nowhere near here when saying 'bringing'.
There are n sounds in "ringing" and "singing", at least in North American English. Otherwise the pronunciations would be 'rigig' and 'sigig'.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The n in the ng combo is not the same as plain n, though.

It's neither brigging nor brinning.

And it's certainly not bring-ning.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
There are n sounds in "ringing" and "singing", at least in North American English. Otherwise the pronunciations would be 'rigig' and 'sigig'.
/ [FONT=&quot]ŋ[/FONT]/ is a velar nasal. It's a separate phonetic sound from /n/, and does not contain an alveolar nasal (/n/). 'ringing' has two / [FONT=&quot]ŋ[/FONT]/, two 'I' and an /r/, as in the transciption that xpert has posted. If you look closely, you'll see there is no /n/. In fact, if you say /n/ several times, and then say "ringing', you'll see that /n/ doesn't enter into it. Nor, as Barb rightly says, does /g/.
I'm trying to say an /n/ sound with 'ringing', but it's impossible.
If you can do it, can you post a sound file?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
/ [FONT=&quot]ŋ[/FONT]/ is a velar nasal. It's a separate phonetic sound from /n/, and does not contain an alveolar nasal (/n/). 'ringing' has two / [FONT=&quot]ŋ[/FONT]/, two 'I' and an /r/, as in the transciption that xpert has posted. If you look closely, you'll see there is no /n/. In fact, if you say /n/ several times, and then say "ringing', you'll see that /n/ doesn't enter into it.
No one is saying that the n sound in those words is the same as what one hears when the alphabet n is recited.
Nor, as Barb rightly says, does /g/. I don't know that Barb said that.
Again, the 'ng' sound is very different from that of isolated n and g sounds said in sequence. But there are variants of n and g sounds in those words.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

[FONT=&quot]Well, if you want to call /θ/ and /ð/ variants of /t/, and /ʃ/ a variant of /s/, I can see your point. But I disagree. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These are not allophones: they are not variants of the same sound. If you replaced [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]/ŋ/ with /n/ or /ng/ you would often get a different word. They are different phonemes.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]'Finger' and 'linger' have /g/ sounds in them, but 'singer' and springer don't.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So there is also no /t/ sound in ‘both’ or ‘other’ and there’s no /s/ sound in “shot” (as they are normally pronounced). [/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.