Academic
Native Language
Maltese
Home Country
Malta
Current Location
Italy
Hello!
Could you please tell me whether "parking ticket" is used BOTH as "a fine" AND also as "the ticket which comes out of the parking metre"?
I recently saw a notice to get "the parking voucher" from the parking metre. The word "voucher" was spelt wrongly and I wanted to point this out ( I live in Italy) but it also got me thinking.....what word should be used exactly? Which is BE and which AE?
Thank you

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I use parking ticket to mean both a penalty notice (to pay a fine) and the ticket from the machine.

Rover

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Context will determine the term's meaning in most cases.

queenbu

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Maltese
Home Country
Malta
Current Location
Italy
Thank you very much, both of you.
I'm talking about a sign post in Italy which is obviously written in Italian and then also in English for the sake of tourists. There's written "parking voucher"...what do you think?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much, both of you.
I'm talking about a sign post in Italy which is obviously written in Italian and then also in English for the sake of tourists. There's written "parking voucher"...what do you think?

Again, more info is necessary to suggest meaning. Was the sign near a parking facility? Was the notice on or near a "parking voucher dispenser"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Personally, in BrE, I would take "parking ticket" to mean the penalty/fine notice attached to your car when you have parked illegally.

"Parking voucher" would be the small piece of paper you get from a machine on the street which you pay for and then have to display in your windscreen.

"Car park ticket" would be the ticket you receive from a machine on entry to a public car park and which you produce before you leave the car park, in order to find out how much you owe.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
in your windscreen.

Is it typo? I googled it (with in) and got a lot of hits but they were mostly about cracks and indentures, which make sense. So in our case, shouldn't it be on?

PS: Sorry about interrupting the thread with an irrelevant question but you know, prepositions sometimes might be real troubles to a non-native-speaker and I felt I had to be sure.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it typo? I googled it (with in) and got a lot of hits but they were mostly about cracks and indentures, which make sense. So in our case, shouldn't it be on?

PS: Sorry about interrupting the thread with an irrelevant question but you know, prepositions sometimes might be real troubles to a non-native-speaker and I felt I had to be sure.

No, in this case we use "in your windscreen". You place the ticket inside the car, on the dashboard but ensuring that it is visible through the windscreen. Some of these tickets do have a small adhesive strip allowing you to stick the ticket to the inside of the windscreen, but these days, normally they are simply a small piece of paper.

I would agree that perhaps "on the dashboard" might be a better phrase but for some reason we have always said that the ticket "must be displayed in/inside the windscreen". It doesn't make much sense, I now realise and, honestly, I'd never thought about it before!!

Edit: Found this council instruction on parking restrictions. If you scroll down to the paragraph on "Pay and Display Bays" and read the last paragraph, you will see "in the windscreen".

http://www.bromley.gov.uk/transportandstreets/parking/avoid_parking_tickets.htm

Last edited:

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
No, in this case we use "in your windscreen". You place the ticket inside the car, on the dashboard but ensuring that it is visible through the windscreen. Some of these tickets do have a small adhesive strip allowing you to stick the ticket to the inside of the windscreen, but these days, normally they are simply a small piece of paper.

I would agree that perhaps "on the dashboard" might be a better phrase but for some reason we have always said that the ticket "must be displayed in/inside the windscreen". It doesn't make much sense, I now realise and, honestly, I'd never thought about it before!!

Thank you for your quick reply.

But I meant "on the windshield" rather than "on the dashboard". Let's say, this ticket was a sticker, would you stick it on the windshield or in the windshield? I'm asking this because I can't associate "in" with a surface. I'll be glad if you would clarify me on this point.

Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your quick reply.

But I meant "on the windshield" rather than "on the dashboard". Let's say, this ticket was a sticker, would you stick it on the windshield or in the windshield? I'm asking this because I can't associate "in" with a surface. I'll be glad if you would clarify me on this point.

Thanks in advance.

I agree with you that it's not logical but I can assure you that even if the ticket was a sticker, we would still refer to it as being displayed "in the windscreen". I assume this is because it is taken as being "inside the windscreen" even though it is in fact stuck "on" the windscreen.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I agree with you that it's not logical but I can assure you that even if the ticket was a sticker, we would still refer to it as being displayed "in the windscreen". I assume this is because it is taken as being "inside the windscreen" even though it is in fact stuck "on" the windscreen.

Thank you very much for your answers. You've been of great help.

This is one of the main reasons why I love this forums so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.