Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    wotcha's Avatar
    wotcha is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    735
    Post Thanks / Like

    'I was stolen my wallet' 'My wallet was stolen'

    1. I was stolen my wallet

    2. My wallet was stolen.


    Are the both correct?

  2. #2
    2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 'I was stolen my wallet' 'My wallet was stolen'

    Quote Originally Posted by wotcha View Post
    1. I was stolen my wallet

    2. My wallet was stolen.
    2006

  3. #3
    Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15,935
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 'I was stolen my wallet' 'My wallet was stolen'

    You can also say 'I had my wallet stolen'.

    Rover

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 'I was stolen my wallet' 'My wallet was stolen'

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    You can also say 'I had my wallet stolen'.
    Would "My wallet was stolen" be better? I was explaining the causative in the passive voice to some students the other day, and concluded that saying "I had my [object] [past participle]" implied that your permission was given.

    For example, "Our house was painted" means that at one point the house was one colour, and at another point after that it was a different colour. Permission was not necessarily given - you may have simply woken up to find your house a different colour! On the other hand, "We had our house painted" means that we asked somebody (i.e. gave them permission) to paint our house, and he/she did.

    I've heard "I've had my [object] stolen" before, but, all of a sudden, using this analysis it no longer makes sense!

  5. #5
    wotcha's Avatar
    wotcha is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    735
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 'I was stolen my wallet' 'My wallet was stolen'

    Quote Originally Posted by ollieacappella View Post
    Would "My wallet was stolen" be better? I was explaining the causative in the passive voice to some students the other day, and concluded that saying "I had my [object] [past participle]" implied that your permission was given.

    For example, "Our house was painted" means that at one point the house was one colour, and at another point after that it was a different colour. Permission was not necessarily given - you may have simply woken up to find your house a different colour! On the other hand, "We had our house painted" means that we asked somebody (i.e. gave them permission) to paint our house, and he/she did.

    I've heard "I've had my [object] stolen" before, but, all of a sudden, using this analysis it no longer makes sense!

    Then.. how about 'I got my wallet stolen?' Does it sound same as 'I had my wallet stolen?' or Does it not make sense?

  6. #6
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 'I was stolen my wallet' 'My wallet was stolen'

    I would stick with My wallet was stolen. I had my wallet stolen suggests to me that the speaker got somebody to steal his wallet.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 'I was stolen my wallet' 'My wallet was stolen'

    Quote Originally Posted by wotcha View Post
    Then.. how about 'I got my wallet stolen?' Does it sound same as 'I had my wallet stolen?' or Does it not make sense?
    Using "got" isn't as common for the causative as "had". I personally try to avoid the verb "to get" at all costs anyway because I think it is overused and it is too hard to translate!

    I'm not a teacher, by the way.

  8. #8
    kfredson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    700
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 'I was stolen my wallet' 'My wallet was stolen'

    Quote Originally Posted by ollieacappella View Post
    Would "My wallet was stolen" be better? I was explaining the causative in the passive voice to some students the other day, and concluded that saying "I had my [object] [past participle]" implied that your permission was given.

    For example, "Our house was painted" means that at one point the house was one colour, and at another point after that it was a different colour. Permission was not necessarily given - you may have simply woken up to find your house a different colour! On the other hand, "We had our house painted" means that we asked somebody (i.e. gave them permission) to paint our house, and he/she did.

    I've heard "I've had my [object] stolen" before, but, all of a sudden, using this analysis it no longer makes sense!
    Yes, it does sound illogical to say, "I had my wallet stolen" in place of "My wallet was stolen." Perhaps it is illogical. Nevertheless, it is a common phrase and is readily understood.
    "I knew I shouldn't have gone to that wild nightclub last night and, sure enough, I had my wallet stolen."

Similar Threads

  1. my bicycle being stolen
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-Nov-2008, 17:55
  2. brain Vs wallet
    By mr.adrok in forum Teacher Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-Sep-2008, 16:12
  3. A cooked wallet
    By wuwei in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-May-2008, 07:22
  4. stolen out
    By thomasRavenelli in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Dec-2007, 09:09
  5. Plastic gift cards can easily fit in a wallet.
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Dec-2007, 03:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •