Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,

Please tell me which word is appropriate to use in the following dialog, context or contest?

A: If something happens or if it wins hands down, what does it mean?
B: That means that it wins without much effort. It happens very easily. Usually when we see this phase, hands down, we are talking about a sporting context.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Context means
1) the situation within which something exists or happens, and that can help explain it.
2) the text or speech that comes immediately before and after a particular phrase or piece of text and helps to explain its meaning.

contest has a lot of meaning but I will give you some of them.
1) a competition to do better than other people, usually in which prizes are given.
2) an attempt, usually against difficulties, to win an election or to get power or control.

Good Luck!

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Context means
1) the situation within which something exists or happens, and that can help explain it.
2) the text or speech that comes immediately before and after a particular phrase or piece of text and helps to explain its meaning.

contest has a lot of meaning but I will give you some of them.
1) a competition to do better than other people, usually in which prizes are given.
2) an attempt, usually against difficulties, to win an election or to get power or control.

Good Luck!
Dear atchan,
I would like to know which one you think is more appropriate in that situation, context or contest?

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Dear atchan,
I would like to know which one you think is more appropriate in that situation, context or contest?
*** Not A Teacher ***

I think "we are talking about a sporting contest".

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,

I think 'we are talking about a sporting context' is also acceptable in that situation. I would like to hear more from you, would anyone help please? Thank in advance!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear teachers,

I think 'we are talking about a sporting context' is also acceptable in that situation. I would like to hear more from you, would anyone help please? Thank in advance!
Yes, 'context' is the obvious meaning.
A: What context do we use this phrase in - 'win hands down'?
B: A sporting context.

Status
Not open for further replies.