Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States

Hello every one :)

I want to ask you about this book. It was recommended to me but when I looked for it I found it too pricey although it might have the value of course!

What's so confusing about this is the book being available in different prices, some might go above 100$ and some might be at 45$! < This low price is mentioned to have been available but I only found it at amazon.co.uk! And BTW it's a reasonable price for such an encyclopedic book!

My question is, through your experience, from where do you recommend me to buy it?

Could you suggest a website that can offer the book with this price? I need a website that you dealt with specially that offers linguistics books other than amazon?

You might be wondering why not amazon, but I'm not in the UK and I face some difficulties with the shipping stuff when I order several books in a single order - if it was from one seller it'll be only one shipment, but if it was from amazon itself and there were several orders they'll be sent in more than one shipment because they might be shipped from different regions in the country which, as a result, makes for each single order a single shipping price not taken by Amazon but by Aramex!

Anyway and away from my problems, I'm sure that you, as experts, know some good other alternatives in book selling market, don't you?

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

Bright One

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States

I found this online bookstore aphrohead.com - not that cheap but acceptable and more importantly it has a huge number of books available

Has any one tried buying from this site? What do you think of the customer service?

I need your help PLEASE ..

Bright One

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States
Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The cheaper price may be because it's second-hand.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've never used the Book Depository, but it looks legitimate- I would feel OK about trying it.

Bright One

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States
I ordered the book from Book Depository for about 43$ but I saw it the day before I think it was 41$! This fast changing in prices makes me uncomfortable because when I checked the same book just a few minutes ago and guess what? It's 90$! What the HECK!

Please could you do me a favor, I want you to check the book's page and see the cost that appears to you because I want to make sure about whether they change the price for all customers or it differs sometimes depending on you region!

Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language by Marianne Celce-Murcia - 9780838419922 at The Book Depository

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
$42.93 (Japan)

Bright One

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States
It's so weird!

It's now
$43.57! It keeps changing up and down! How come in less than 24 hours it becomes 90$ and then becomes lower again with 43.57$ while I bought it with $43.25 and found it before 2 dollars cheaper!

What is going on! in a moment the price changes!

Anyway, thanks Tdol for your help :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've got $43.57 now- they must be using different suppliers. Book prices are not fixed in the UK, so different shops can charge different prices.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I used the Book Depository once, it was fine. It's probably changing because the web's got different suppliers. Depending on who's selling the books or how old they are, the price would vary.

Bright One

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States
I see. That explains what is going on. It, also, explains the numerous titles they have!

MASM, was your order with free delivery to Spain? How long did it take to reach you?

Some people complain that some of the books weren't in a good condition, how was your book?

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Well I ordered it when I was in the UK, I'm not sure if I could have ordered it from Spain anyway, because I've tried to do so, but they wouldn't let me anymore..

I don't remember well, but I think the book arrived in two days and it was fine, I didn't have any problem. I ordered things from Amazon that arrived just fine too.

I've checked the book you said, here is 31.89 euros and apparently is free shipping worldwide within 24 hours

Bright One

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States
I ordered it and within 24 hours it was dispatched by Royal Mail, but I wouldn't expect it to reach me in less than 7-10 days with free worldwide shipping.

This free service to many countries around the world has made them stand out from their rivals!

Last edited:

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I hope you're lucky and get the book soon!:-D

Bright One

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States
^

Thank you for wishing me good luck :)

Bright One

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States
The book is delivered in the best condition you want it to be. However, I feel bad about the quality of printing, the font seems to have been written in smaller size then enlarged. I don't know if the low price 43$ has to do with this or not, but if it does then I'm not a winner here :-?

Maybe sometime I'll check another version and compare between the two!

gregnunn

Member Type
English Teacher
I teach a TESOL program where this text is on the reading list. To my thinking, it is not very readable and provides little or no inspiration to people who want to become teachers.

This is one of a long list of texts attempting to cash in on the growing TESOL market. Its orientation is far too academic and the overall editing doesn't categorise material usefully.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Probably too late to be of any help this time, but for the future try abebooks. I have got a lot of stuff from them (both .co.uk and .com). Their service is good, and their prices are fantastic. Your Celce-Murcia was being offered today at $4 (yes, four). True, it's second-hand but at that price you don't mind a blot on a page.

Status
Not open for further replies.