Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
From Wikipedia (Financial regulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia):

"Financial regulations are a form of regulation or supervision, which subjects financial institutions to certain requirements, restrictions and guidelines, aiming to maintain the integrity of the financial system."

I'm pretty sure there should be no comma before "which," but I'm not so sure about the comma before "aiming." Is the punctuation correct?

Thanks.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No comma in the first instance, ', with the aim of -ing' in the second (a comma is needed in the second, otherwise the sense is 'guidelines with the aim of'). You could say 'that/which subject ... and aim' if the aim was independent of the 'subject ...' clause, but it isn't here.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
From Wikipedia (Financial regulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia):

"Financial regulations are a form of regulation or supervision, which subjects financial institutions to certain requirements, restrictions and guidelines, aiming to maintain the integrity of the financial system."

I'm pretty sure there should be no comma before "which," but I'm not so sure about the comma before "aiming." Is the punctuation correct?

Thanks.

Yes, all the punctuation is necessary and correct. To make the meaning of the sentence a little clearer I would add "thus" before aiming. But keep the commas.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Yes, all the punctuation is necessary and correct. To make the meaning of the sentence a little clearer I would add "thus" before aiming. But keep the commas.

So you don't think "which subjects ... system." is a restrictive clause?

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
So you don't think "which subjects ... system." is a restrictive clause?

By Jove, I believe you are correct. The length and complexity of the sentence makes we welcome a comma before "which." However, in point of fact, it does appear to be a restrictive clause and should not, therefore, be preceded by a comma. I stand corrected. If we replace "which" with "that" it becomes still clearer. I do find the sentence to be overly complex, however, and would probably break it into two sentences.

Many thanks for pointing this out!

Status
Not open for further replies.