Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The title "Write a news diary" was quoted from "70 ways to improve your English"

Can we say "keep a news diary"?

From tien-sung

Taipei

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The title "Write a news diary" was quoted from "70 ways to improve your English"

Can we say "keep a news diary"?

From tien-sung

Taipei

It's usually possible to exchange "keep" for "write" when talking about a diary. I would say though that I'm not too sure what a "news diary" is. Were they suggesting that you keep a diary detailing interesting news stories from each day?

tien-sung

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
2. Write a news diary. Another daily writing task that can work for people who would be bored by writing about their own routines in a diary is to write about the news that you read and listen to everyday. If you include your predictions for how you think the story will develop (e.g. "I think Hillary will become president"), this can give you a good reason to read old entries another time, at which time you can also correct and mistakes you have made and generally improve what you have written.

The above article was quoted from "70 ways to improve your English".
When I was in junior high school, my English teacher told me that we should not say" write a diary" we must say "keep a diary" why this title says Write a news diary ? this is my question.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
2. Write a news diary. Another daily writing task that can work for people who would be bored by writing about their own routines in a diary is to write about the news that you read and listen to everyday. If you include your predictions for how you think the story will develop (e.g. "I think Hillary will become president"), this can give you a good reason to read old entries another time, at which time you can also correct and mistakes you have made and generally improve what you have written.

The above article was quoted from "70 ways to improve your English".
When I was in junior high school, my English teacher told me that we should not say" write a diary" we must say "keep a diary" why this title says Write a news diary ? this is my question.

As I said in my first reply, as far as I'm concerned they are interchangeable. Some people say "I keep a diary" and others say "I write a diary". I wouldn't say one is right and one is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.