Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: parking ticket

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default parking ticket

    Hello!
    Could you please tell me whether "parking ticket" is used BOTH as "a fine" AND also as "the ticket which comes out of the parking metre"?
    I recently saw a notice to get "the parking voucher" from the parking metre. The word "voucher" was spelt wrongly and I wanted to point this out ( I live in Italy) but it also got me thinking.....what word should be used exactly? Which is BE and which AE?
    Thank you

  2. #2
    Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: parking ticket

    I use parking ticket to mean both a penalty notice (to pay a fine) and the ticket from the machine.

    Rover

  3. #3
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: parking ticket

    Context will determine the term's meaning in most cases.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: parking ticket

    Thank you very much, both of you.
    I'm talking about a sign post in Italy which is obviously written in Italian and then also in English for the sake of tourists. There's written "parking voucher"...what do you think?

  5. #5
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: parking ticket

    Quote Originally Posted by queenbu View Post
    Thank you very much, both of you.
    I'm talking about a sign post in Italy which is obviously written in Italian and then also in English for the sake of tourists. There's written "parking voucher"...what do you think?
    Again, more info is necessary to suggest meaning. Was the sign near a parking facility? Was the notice on or near a "parking voucher dispenser"?

  6. #6
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    22,450
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: parking ticket

    Personally, in BrE, I would take "parking ticket" to mean the penalty/fine notice attached to your car when you have parked illegally.

    "Parking voucher" would be the small piece of paper you get from a machine on the street which you pay for and then have to display in your windscreen.

    "Car park ticket" would be the ticket you receive from a machine on entry to a public car park and which you produce before you leave the car park, in order to find out how much you owe.

  7. #7
    euncu's Avatar
    euncu is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: parking ticket

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    in your windscreen.
    Is it typo? I googled it (with in) and got a lot of hits but they were mostly about cracks and indentures, which make sense. So in our case, shouldn't it be on?

    PS: Sorry about interrupting the thread with an irrelevant question but you know, prepositions sometimes might be real troubles to a non-native-speaker and I felt I had to be sure.

  8. #8
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    22,450
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: parking ticket

    Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    Is it typo? I googled it (with in) and got a lot of hits but they were mostly about cracks and indentures, which make sense. So in our case, shouldn't it be on?

    PS: Sorry about interrupting the thread with an irrelevant question but you know, prepositions sometimes might be real troubles to a non-native-speaker and I felt I had to be sure.
    No, in this case we use "in your windscreen". You place the ticket inside the car, on the dashboard but ensuring that it is visible through the windscreen. Some of these tickets do have a small adhesive strip allowing you to stick the ticket to the inside of the windscreen, but these days, normally they are simply a small piece of paper.

    I would agree that perhaps "on the dashboard" might be a better phrase but for some reason we have always said that the ticket "must be displayed in/inside the windscreen". It doesn't make much sense, I now realise and, honestly, I'd never thought about it before!!

    Edit: Found this council instruction on parking restrictions. If you scroll down to the paragraph on "Pay and Display Bays" and read the last paragraph, you will see "in the windscreen".

    http://www.bromley.gov.uk/transporta...ng_tickets.htm
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 12-Jul-2010 at 21:11. Reason: Extra info

  9. #9
    euncu's Avatar
    euncu is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: parking ticket

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    No, in this case we use "in your windscreen". You place the ticket inside the car, on the dashboard but ensuring that it is visible through the windscreen. Some of these tickets do have a small adhesive strip allowing you to stick the ticket to the inside of the windscreen, but these days, normally they are simply a small piece of paper.

    I would agree that perhaps "on the dashboard" might be a better phrase but for some reason we have always said that the ticket "must be displayed in/inside the windscreen". It doesn't make much sense, I now realise and, honestly, I'd never thought about it before!!

    Thank you for your quick reply.

    But I meant "on the windshield" rather than "on the dashboard". Let's say, this ticket was a sticker, would you stick it on the windshield or in the windshield? I'm asking this because I can't associate "in" with a surface. I'll be glad if you would clarify me on this point.

    Thanks in advance.

  10. #10
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    22,450
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: parking ticket

    Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    Thank you for your quick reply.

    But I meant "on the windshield" rather than "on the dashboard". Let's say, this ticket was a sticker, would you stick it on the windshield or in the windshield? I'm asking this because I can't associate "in" with a surface. I'll be glad if you would clarify me on this point.

    Thanks in advance.
    I agree with you that it's not logical but I can assure you that even if the ticket was a sticker, we would still refer to it as being displayed "in the windscreen". I assume this is because it is taken as being "inside the windscreen" even though it is in fact stuck "on" the windscreen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Parking ticket
    By Manheim in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-Mar-2009, 18:45
  2. [General] on-grade parking space
    By latenight in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Jan-2009, 18:23
  3. Parking
    By rmsh16 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2008, 22:21
  4. parking
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Jun-2007, 07:06
  5. parking
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Jan-2007, 10:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk