Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Adjective

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Palestinian Territory
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Exclamation Adjective

    1


    How can I know if one adjective can be preceded by


    "so" or "very" ….etc because some adjectives cannot be preceded by such words ??o


    For example , can I say : He was so/very speechless ?o




    2


    Is there any rule to know if one adjective has a comparative and superlative form since some adjectives don't have such forms ??o



    Thanx


    :)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Adjective

    The rule is about whether an adjective is gradable, whether it has different levels. For instance, difficult can have different levels- something can be quite/very/incredibly difficult. However, speechless is not gradable- you can either speak or not, so very speechless does't make much sense.

    (These are not absolute rules and you will find examples where non-gradable adjectives are modified by very, etc.)

  1. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,926
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Adjective

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shakespeare View Post
    1


    How can I know if one adjective can be preceded by


    "so" or "very" ….etc because some adjectives cannot be preceded by such words ??o


    For example , can I say : He was so/very speechless ?o




    2


    Is there any rule to know if one adjective has a comparative and superlative form since some adjectives don't have such forms ??o



    Thanx


    :)

    you can use either so or very before speechless, but not both...

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Adjective

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    you can use either so or very before speechless, but not both...
    I'm afraid I'm with Tdol on this. You can't use "so" or "very" with speechless. As he said, you're either speechless or you're not.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,077
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Adjective

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I'm afraid I'm with Tdol on this. You can't use "so" or "very" with speechless. As he said, you're either speechless or you're not.
    I agree, you can't use "so" or "very", but you could use "completely".

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Adjective

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I agree, you can't use "so" or "very", but you could use "completely".
    Or "absolutely".

Similar Threads

  1. adjective/
    By azz in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-Jun-2009, 11:55
  2. [Grammar] Adjective
    By Pav in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Mar-2009, 02:05
  3. [General] What's the best adjective
    By manny91 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-Feb-2009, 18:19
  4. [Grammar] adjective
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Feb-2009, 14:38
  5. so + adjective + that
    By mehmetcalimli in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Dec-2005, 18:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •