• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb How do I improve oral English?

Ooooh my... I never thought I'd be asking this question.

I've been living in Canada for about 7 years, my pronounciation is at near-native level (if I know what I'm speaking about, that is) and have little difficulty with daily English.

However I still find myself struggling with, sometimes the most basic forms of English. One example is taking phone calls in English. Words don't come fast enough to my mind and I just can't seem to speak 'clean-cut' English. I stutter, and use a lot of 'Ummms', to buy time to think about the next word. I don't have the same problem with writing since I can give just about infinite time to think about the grammer, structure and the choice of words. All these have to be ready in split second when speaking and that's where I'm failing badly.

This is a part of what I spoke on the phone today.

A friend of mine... ur... is very interested in... um... coming here and take ESL programs you guys offer... ur... she is in Korea right now.

Of course, if I were to write it,

A friend of mine in Korea is very interested in coming to Canada and taking ESL course you offer.

See what I'm going through? Can you recommend any good practice? I can read books aloud with near-native pronounciation because I don't have to think about what I'm reading... but I want to speak good, without having to say 'umms' to buy time.

Any suggestions and I'd very much appreciate it.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I improve oral English?

If you need the umms to think, then try for some synonyms:
    A friend of mine... she... is very interested in... well... coming here and take ESL programs you guys offer... your intensive course... she is in Korea right now.

We often do things like this to give ourselves time- empty words like 'well', restating points, unnecessary pronouns, etc.

HaraKiriBlade is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there any practice to actually shorten the time it takes to come up with the intened words / sentence structures? wells, likes, umms, you knows... they're all temporary coverups.

Maybe I should think more about the question and ask again... right now I just can't seem to explain what I really want to ask.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there... like.. any ... you know.. practice to ...like... actually shorten the ...the... time it takes ... it takes for someone... to ...to... come up with ...with... the intended words.

Ummm... probably not.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

If a renowned English teacher like yourself don't know how, I probably won't get better answer from anyone else... Thanks anyways Tdol.

That also means if I actually 'invented' the method long later, I could write a book about it and make myself some cash. For now I'll just have to try different methods. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HaraKiriBlade
    If a renowned English teacher like yourself don't know how, I probably won't get better answer from anyone else... Thanks anyways Tdol.

That also means if I actually 'invented' the method long later, I could write a book about it and make myself some cash. For now I'll just have to try different methods. Thanks again!
    You should give it a try, HB. Your English is fluent and you don't have a trace of an accent. Did you say your native language is...Korean?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

It is. I still feel way more comfortable speaking in Korean than English, probably because my English processor is a lot slower than my Korean counterpart. Also, many times when speaking in English my tougue slips, and when it does it goes like: We're just, just, done with the re, re, reno, re, renovation.

I don't always speak like that, but it probably happens once in every ten sen, sentences I speak. It's embarrasing, I'm telling you.

Your compliment is always very encouraging, Marylin. I really appreciate that.
    Last edited by HaraKiriBlade; 03-Jun-2005 at 05:44.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HaraKiriBlade
    It is. I still feel way more comfortable speaking in Korean than English, probably because my English processor is a lot slower than my Korean counterpart. Also, many times when speaking in English my tougue slips, and when it does it goes like: We're just, just, done with the re, re, reno, re, renovation.

I don't always speak like that, but it probably happens once in every ten sen, sentences I speak. It's embarrasing, I'm telling you.

Your compliment is always very encouraging, Marylin. I really appreciate that.

VERY interesting...I have never ever met a Korean student that speaks English without even a bit of an accent. I think you broke the mold when God made you, HB

Post Thanks / Like

Your compliment is always very encouraging, Marylin. I really appreciate that.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't meant to be a compliment, HB.