Thread: proofread this!

Post Thanks / Like

Default proofread this!

Hi can someone please proofread my essay?
    http://www.geocities.com/silver_sens...sushipart2.doc

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: proofread this!

Introduction

Welcome to Sushi Roo, this is (I'd delete this is) a newly opened store located in the Valley

Have you ever tried Sushi? If not, try it now; otherwise you're missing out on the delicious taste of sushi!. In this site you'll be able to find all the

information about this store and a little information about sushi's history and dining etiquette.

While you're at this site please take our survey as we are trying to improve the

store. Just click the "Survey" link in the box on the right to take it.

History

Japan is an island country with lots of fresh seafood.

Many years ago the Japanese created a method for preserving fresh,

clean, raw fish. The fish is covered with rice, which has natural fermentative properties that help to preserve the fish. Over time, the fish would

be ready to absorb raw and the rice would be obsolete (this doesn't make sense to me- what are you trying to say?). In time, the Japanese found that discarding the rice was a waste. They discovered that if they stopped the fermentation earlier the rice would not lose its flavor and would still be edible. Later on they started adding vinegar to the rice along with other vegetables to preserve food. This is what we know as nigiri sushi.

Dining

Here are a few general rules when dining in a Japanese environment. Before starting a meal you should say:

"Itadaki-masu" which means "Now I'm going to dig in"

At the end of a meal you should say:

"Gochisou-sama-shimasu" which means "That was quite a feast."

These phases signify the beginning and ending of a meal and that you're giving thanks to the person that prepared the meal for you.

When pouring tea, fill any cup other than your own. Pouring tea for another person is a sign of kindness and respect and if the other person is your friend they will return the favor.

During a Japanese meal there are many plates and dishes on the table. Large plates, dishes, and bowls remain on the table and only the small plates and the bowls for rice and soup can be lifted off the table. This prevents dripping and spilling when lifting food to your mouth.

When eating noodles or drinking soups do not hesitate to make slurping and sipping sounds throughout the meal. This is a sign that you are enjoying your meal.

Sushi is generally accompanied with a small portion of gari (sweet, pickled ginger). Usually, gari is not eaten until the end of the meal to cleanse the palate. It is generally not recommended to eat the gari while eating sushi or sashimi as it can interfere with the delicate flavors. Click here to learn more on sushi terminology