• Thread starter kltakky
  • Start date
  • Views : 232,097
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kltakky

Dear teachers,

MsWord prompts me 'fragment revise' when I type 'Looking forward to your reply?'. Could you please tell me how it should be corrected? And what other way I could express the urge of getting a reply from someone in a polite and formal manner?

Thank you for the help and time spent on this.

Best wishes,
Kltakky

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
looking forward

"Looking forward to your reply" is okay. It's a standard if not common closing in letters.

The problem here is MicroSoft. :grab: They need to udpdate their grammar checker so as to add exceptions like "looking forward to your reply".

It's a fragment alright: It doesn't have a subject; but, when it's used as a closing, it's perfectly acceptable.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The Microsft grammar check is notoriously weak. Many of its suggestions are wrong and others are pointless. Their thesaurus is a bit dodgy too- they suggest 'son' is a synonym of 'dughter', which leaves me wondering. I never have the grammar check turned on. The spell check is wonderful, though. ;-)

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
spell check

:splat: computer keys :splat:

:oops: udpdate = update :oops:

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: spell check

Casiopea said:
:splat: computer keys :splat:

:oops: udpdate = update :oops:

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Does that work with Japanese?

:wink:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
:lol: Cute. You actually had me thunking there for just a mo'. :lol:

Good on ya! :D You made my day. Thanx 8)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.