Post Thanks / Like

Can you proofread these, too?

Here are two more bits that I'm hoping someone to proofread. I thank you in advance.

Welcome to Lapland!

Summery Lapland is a world of its own. The coldness and darkness of the winter have been replaced by the nightless night and round-the-clock sunshine. Fells, rivers and lakes are enticing people to hike, canoe and fish.

Fell Lapland, the northwestern part of Finnish Lapland, is a versatile and variable area in both terrain and spirit. The highest fells in Finland are in Fell Lapland. There is plenty of hustle and bustle in the tourist centres of the fell villages, but one can also enjoy the peace and quiet of the wilderness.

Fell Lapland in a nutshell

Fell Lapland consists of four municipalities: Kolari, Muonio, Kittilä and Enontekiö. Fell Lapland is bounded by Norway in the north and by the River Tornion–Muonionjoki in the west, the other side of which lies Sweden.

Population: The four municipalities of Fell Lapland have about 14 000 inhabitants and tens of thousands of reindeer.

Surface area: about 21 000 km2.

Main source of income: Tourism.

Fells and tourist centres: Finland’s tallest fell Halti (1328 metres) and all the other fells higher than 1000 metres are in Enontekiö. On the northern frontier on Finland, at the foot of Saana Fell, lies the village of Kilpisjärvi, which is a growing travel centre. The travel centres of Muonio are in the vicinity Pallas Fell and Olos Fell. Ylläs is the highest fell in Kolari, and the villages of Ylläsjärvi and Äkäslompolo are at the foot of Ylläs Fell. The tourist centre of Kittilä lies at the foot of Levitunturi Fell in the village of Sirkka.

Transportation: There is an airport in Kittilä and a railway station in Kolari. Buses operate around the area. The nearest bigger city is Rovaniemi, which can be reached by train and plane from the south.

Distances: Rovaniemi–Kittilä 150 km, Kittilä–Kolari 75 km, Kittilä–Muonio 80 km, Kolari–Muonio 80 km, Muonio–Enontekiö 75 km, Muonio–Kilpisjärvi 200 km.

Pallas–Yllästunturi National Park

A new large national park was born in Fell Lapland this year when the former Pallas–Ounastunturi National Park and Ylläs–Aakenus Nature Reserve were combined to create Pallas–Yllästunturi National Park.

Rugged fells, mysterious mires and valuable old forests attract nature lovers to Pallas–Yllästunturi National Park. It is expected that over 300 000 visitors will come to the area each year, thus making it the most popular national park in Finland.

Pallas–Yllästunturi National Park is the third largest national park in Finland, covering an area of 102 000 hectares in Kittilä, Kolari, Muonio and Enontekiö. There are 350 kilometres of marked hiking trails in the park.

The range of fells in Ounasselänne is the backbone of the national park. The tallest fell is Taivaskero, which is 807 metres high.

The national park has a rich flora and fauna. There are thousands of species of plants, ten per cent of which are rare or endangered. Small mammals, elk and bears are denizens of the park. As many as 150 species of birds spend their summer in the shelter of the park. One of the first migratory birds to return to the north is the snow bunting, the bird emblem of Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can you proofread these, too?

Summery Lapland - I'd say Summer in Lapland or Lapland in summer. (probably the latter)

the River Tornion–Muonionjoki in the west, the other side of which lies Sweden- the Tornion–MuonionjokiRiver in the west, on the other side of which lies Sweden
    On the northern frontier on Finland,- of Finland
    which is a growing travel centre- fast growing?? (I'd qualify it)

A new large national park was born- I'd be tempted to use a more conventional verb here

300 000- 300,000 (etc)
    are denizens of the park- the denizens?