Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
[FONT=&#23435]During the march of times down these years bringing about progress in every human endeavour, I have good reason to say that the World English is definitely a great improvement upon the chinese Students'weekly."[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]My question is:[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]1. why does the author use times,but not time?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]2.What's the meaning of during the march of times down these years?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]3.What's the function of bringing about?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]Thanks a lot![/FONT]

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[FONT=&#23435]During the march of times down these years bringing about progress in every human endeavour, I have good reason to say that the World English is definitely a great improvement upon the chinese Students'weekly."[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]My question is:[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]1. why does the author use times,but not time?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]2.What's the meaning of during the march of times down these years?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]3.What's the function of bringing about?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]Thanks a lot![/FONT]

"March of time" would have been better. It means about the sames as "down THROUGH the years". "Bringing about" means "producing". It is a participle modifying "march" -- or "years" (it's not clear).

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am guessing that they are two names of magazines. Am I right?

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What does this mean?
I'll try to help you.The world of English is a magazine in China.Maybe [FONT=&#23435]the chinese Students'weekly is a magazine , too.[/FONT]
Anything else?Cheers!

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"March of time" would have been better. It means about the sames as "down THROUGH the years". "Bringing about" means "producing". It is a participle modifying "march" -- I or "years" (it's not clear).
I agree with you , Thanks a lot!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"March of time" would have been better. It means about the sames as "down THROUGH the years". "Bringing about" means "producing". It is a participle modifying "march" -- or "years" (it's not clear).
:up: The singular would be better here because of the collocation. But in other contexts there's not much difference in meaning - 'At a time like this' means pretty much the same as 'At times like these'/'At such times'/'At times such as this'. Far be it from me to inhibit the progress of world English, but it seems to me that 'During the march of times down these years bringing about progress in every human endeavour...' doesn't mean anything much. :?:;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.