Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
I've always been wondering how can we distinguish between slang and Colloquial expressions. e.g: I looked up in urban dictionary for "Abe"
and found 7 results
i can tell some of them are slang , but not quite sure about the rest of them.
the "abe" definition by urban dictionary:
1:A big erection
Ohhh that chick gave me Abe
2-A nickname used by women to describe a sexy or abnormally good looking man
3-
Someone that is freeking crazy and or amazingDude that guys so Abe.
.............................................................................................

am pretty sure those are slangs, but look at the rest of definitions

4-A new-age name for God. Like, even more new-age than "Jesus."
Atheist: Abe doesn't exist.
Abe: Yes I do.
Atheist: Oh. Oh... Wow...
5-Five Dollar bill.
Guy 1: Yo man i need some ends, lemme get bum

Guy 2: how much

Guy 1: an Abe

6-Who any true Scotsman supports at a major football tournament, Anyone But England.
C'mon ABE, let's beat these arrogant
..............................................................................................
especially number 5. It could be a Colloquial expression .You know, There are so many words that I can't just figure it out whether they are slang or Colloquial. On the other hand, "all that and then some" is listed as slang in some dictionaries .However, it sounds to me like it is idiom or at least Colloquial.
I'm really confused about these sort of things .Is there a general rule to find out what type of expression are we dealing with?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are no fixed lines and different people or sources may say different things- there's a grey area in the middle. I'd say all of those definitions were slang, by the way.

The reason 'all that and then some' is listed as slang is possibly because it's a fairly recent coining- today's slang, if it survives, may be tomorrow's colloquial.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Guy 1: Yo man i need some ends, lemme get bum
I`ve got the point here but still..never heard the expression "i need some ends" instead of "I need some money". It is often use in your country? It is used in U.K. or America? And the other one "lemme get bum" i guess it means "can I borrow from you", but can you tell me what does it mean exactly? THX and if I have some mistakes in my message PLEASE feel free to correct me. I am very eager to learn english but i have nobody to talk to with:D..someone available?:> THX again!

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Yes. Bum means money, and it's a slang. And there is nothing you, and I can do about it. As for bum, it means to get something from someone else for free, Also used to borrow, but with the understanding that repayment might not happen.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Yes. Bum means money, and it's a slang. And there is nothing you, and I can do about it. As for bum, it means to get something from someone else for free, Also used to borrow, but with the understanding that repayment might not happen.
Bum means both things or you meant ENDS means money?:D THX for the answer anyway. Very useful.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Interesting. I´ve never heard any of the above slang expressions used in AmE except #6. When used, it´s certainly not about a soccer game, but could be about a political campaign. For example, ABP (anyone but Palin.)

Status
Not open for further replies.